• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

The Stimulus, Guns & An American Insult!!!

Started by Gracious, February 21, 2009, 12:18:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gracious

Church,

Please let me begin by sharing that I know that "DeepWaters" is not a political forum, however it is a forum that explores with great brevity our "relationships" with each other & with our Deity. Here we explore the TRUTH --- JESUS!  And the TRUTH for me TODAY, isn't pretty!  The TRUTH is that I need your help!!!  I need your help because of what your about to read!!!  Honestly, there are times in my life when I am driven to HATE the actions of certain "evil" mentalities (people) ... I'm guilty of praying to The FATHER over this & picking up that SAME anger ... as if I'd never gone to HIM with it!!!  And I need your HELP & your prayers, because I feel FED-UP!!!  With the devil & his nastiy-ness!!!

Have you ever been soooooo disgusted by what you've heard or seen in this world ... that you jus' wanna' HOLLA!!!  & then cry, out of hurt & anger???  Well, that would be me ... as the following was spraulled across the media:

New York Post endangers President and community
By CYRIL JOSH BARKER
Amsterdam News StaffPublished: Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:11 PM EST

http://www.amsterdarnews.com/articles/2009/02/20/news/doc499d8c3670e25155597128.txt

A political cartoon published by the New York Post on Wednesday has many alleging the newspaper promotes blatant racism. The cartoon that ran in the newspaper's "Page Six" section features two white police officers who have gunned down a chimpanzee in a pool of blood. One of the officers says, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill." Sean Delonas drew the cartoon. The work is a parody of a recent news story that broke earlier in the week where a woman was attacked in Connecticut by a chimpanzee. Police shot and killed the animal that was being kept as pet. President Barack Obama also signed $787 billion stimulus bill on Tuesday.

The cartoon appeared in the tabloid on Wednesday and prompted immediate opposition from civil rights organizations. At the National Action Network headquarters in Harlem, the Rev. Al Sharpton voiced his outrage. "We cannot have different standards in this countrywhen it comes to offending people," said Sharpton. "This, to us, is something that's offensive to all Americans, Black, white, Hispanic and Asian."

Comments from outraged America:  

Quotehttp://elinortatum.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/hello-world/

I was floored.  I am not sure what actually was the most offensive thing about this cartoon - the fact that someone actually came up with it or the fact that the Post actually printed it.  This just shows you how important other voices in the media are.  I bet the folks of color at the NY Post are completely embarrassed.  What News Corp allowed to go onto the pages is offensive on so many levels.

Firstly, what does the chimp going mad have to do with the stimulus package?  It certainly seems like the Post equates a monkey with black folks  (Our president for one) and that the chimp going mad is indicative of a black man going crazy.

The problem with this logic is that there is none.  The stimulus package is something that can work if implemented properly,  and there is nothing crazy about it.

What is crazy is that the Post found some way to connect the mad chimp and the stimulus package.  Secondly, showing cops shooting a monkey ( the image of which has historically been equated with Blacks)  continues to play into the fact that cops shoot Black men often and that it is just a regular occurence.

New York Post Editor-in-Chief Col Allan said in a statement that the cartoon was "a clear parody.  "It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist"

What Allan fails to realize is that Sharpton is just one of thousands of voices that abhor what the Post has done.  This is so far beyond Sharpton, who was simply the first to speak up in public but not the first to be outraged.  The community is up in arms.

The Amadou Diallo shooting was ten years ago; the Sean Bell shooting is still fresh in our minds.  Black men are killed on a daily basis.  Black men are killed by cops across this country far too often.  Our president is a Black man and it looks like the Post is almost calling for an assasination.     THE NEW YORK POST NEEDS TO BE STOPPED.

February 20, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I think all New Yorkers should boycott the NY Post. The Post has never been a newspaper that showed good taste in publishing anyway but this is this is definitely last affront to decency. As African-Americans we should stop accepting excuses from racist and stupid white folks when they say, do or write cruel, racist and unecessary things. I know the election of President Obama was suppose to have knocked down some racial stereotypes but apparently racism and stupidity go hand-in-hand at the New York Post from its owner to its editor to the cartoonist who sketched this despicable cartoon. And African-Americans should stop respecting any leader who says 'oh, we're beyond reacting to this type of foolishness'. And, don't fall for or believe the Post when they say this cartoon was a paraody. Our President deserves better then this, and the New York Post should pay for it's insensitivity. BOYCOTT THE NY POST!!!!!

I' must say ... when I first saw this so-called imagery, it likened itself to pictures I'd seen taken in "Stone Mountain, Georgia"  where the KKK hung-LYNCHED CHRISTIAN "BLACK" men & women ...  proudly & joyously, knowing that no earthly law could stop them!!!                 It made me SICK to my stomach!!!

How do we as nation, get past this?  HELP LAWD!!!

Definitely ... NOT feelin' too ahhh "Gracious"  this evenin' 

:'(
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&