• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

How do you Love your neighbor?

Started by ae4yb, April 18, 2004, 05:39:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ae4yb

Observation: We live in a cruel world full of hurting people.
Situation: In my neighborhood it seems that no has respect for ones peacefulness and quietness. I made the fatal mistake and kindly voiced my opinion about some of these gas-powered nuisances (scooters, remote control gas cars) to the offending people. Now I am the victim of having my Christianity raked over the coals all because I wanted peace and quietness. And then to top it off I made the second fatal mistake and got angry.
Statement: What happened to respect and where is the love?
Request: Please pray that God fixes this situation!!!!
(5 families involved Ambridge Lane, Jacksonville, Florida).
And what's your advice If any ???

Forum Administrator

Your observation is correct, and as the saying goes, hurt people hurt people. We as Christians have the advantage of taking our hurts to a loving Father who is not only touched by them, but can do something about them. Voicing your opinion is not a fatal mistake. As Christians, we are commanded to communicate the truth, but we must do it in a way that will build up and not tear down. Also, getting angry is not a fatal mistake either. It's not a sin to get angry (for the right reasons), but generally speaking, we would do well to follow James' advice and be "quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" (James 1:19). Getting angry for reasons that are not right and/or displaying that anger in a manner that is not right will not bring about right results (James 1:20). If you believe that your display of anger has aggravated the situation and perhaps hurt your witness to your neighbors as a Christian, all is not lost. You now have a unique opportunity to make an impact on those families involved. Apologize and ask the forgiveness of your neighbors if necessary. Be creative and sincere about it. Let your neighbors know how badly you feel about what has happened and that your desire truly is to live peaceably and maintain a good relationship with them. Don't expect anything from them in return; this is not to solicit a desired response from your neighbors. This is more about you and your peace with and obedience to God (which is most important). As the scripture says, if possible, as much as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone (Romans 12:18).

Mercy is given from one who is in a position of advantage to one who is in a position of disadvantage. As I said before, as a Christian, you are in a position of advantage. One way to show love to your neighbor is to show them mercy (see Luke 10:25-37). Your neighbors may have been hurtful, but show mercy and forgive them. Your neighbors may have been disrespectful and inconsiderate, but that's not who you are: you have the advantage. Your neighbors may have been harsh, but show mercy and be gentle and kind (but not phoney) in the way you speak to and treat them. When you are provoked, show mercy and exercise forbearance instead of retaliating. God has given you the power to do it. Then take your hurt, frustrations, and everything else that is bothering you to the One who can do something about it. When we do what God requires of us to do, He'll take care of the rest.

I have prayed and will be praying for you. God will make everything work out for your good as you love/obey Him.  That's a promise.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14