• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Think and Grow Rich

Started by 1EagleSky, February 19, 2009, 10:09:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1EagleSky

Recently, I've been reading a book by the late Napoleon Hill called 'Think and Grow Rich'. This book is very fascinating. About three years ago, Charles Stanley aired a series over the summer called 'Success God's Way'. Stanley talked about how most of the positive thinking authors/speakers borrow heavily from the Bible, or they introduce concepts in their books/speeches that, unknowing to them, have their origins in Biblical thought.

Anyway, as I read this book, certain Scriptures would come to my mind, sort of like Biblical parallels to what the book was saying. For instance, Think and Grow Rich discusses the concept of guarding your thoughts....now doesn't this sound a lot like Proverbs 23:4, which says: "Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it flows the issues of life"??

There are some concepts in this book that sound questionable to me. But I'm curious...was Napoleon Hill a believer?

Gracious

Hello 1Eagleshy, :)

Was Napoleon Hill a believer?

Hmmmm......

Well let me tell ya that I LUVVV your topic, I'm verrry familiar with the work of Mr. Hill & Mr. Carnegie  ... Amen?

I'm unsure whether he was a religious man ... Yet, I am sure that he was a spiritual one!  You see, to me, there is a difference.   "Religious" (Christian) people tend to explain the unknown specifically.  Meaning, they tend to give their reverence for the "source" of all things great & mighty & good, as coming from our Deity ... Amen?   "Spiritual" people may or may not be religious, however they understand that there is a Force greater than themselves - this Force is good ... AND ... they understand the importance of tapping into that force (being connected) in order to be successful in one's life.

As a Christian, I (like you) see many positive parallels with exclusively "spiritual" people.  And that's how I personally would describe this man who walked modestly among the verrry wealthy.

Gracious

:)
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

1EagleSky

Very well put, Gracious! Oh, and BTW, I misquoted the scripture I was referring to--got the numbers mixed up! I meant to say Proverbs 4:23

Gracious

Thank you  1EagleSky  :-*

I must confess ... I was kinda'  :o when you introduced this thread 'cause Napolean's life truly does appear to parralell a whole lot of saints I know "pre-Salvation" ... that is.  Maybe not literally, but figuratively ... sho'-nuff?

Shadow without substance! 

That is how I would describe "exclusivity" as it pertains to the "exclusively religious" & or the "exclusively spiritual" individual.  Because I'm led that it takes a divine mergence (blending) of both, doesn't it???  Which is probably why your spirit - the more you read, became unsettled?  For me, exclusively religious people tend to get caught up in the worship of man (the ORDER of service) ... Amen?  Have you been in a worship service, P&W is HIGH, the Holy Ghost fills the temple ... BUT ... because there are ahhh more important items on the agenda-program, like reading the announcements, greeting the visitors (never did understand exactly who a "visitor" actually was ... when in the House of the Lord) & making sure that we do NOT skip over praising reverend / deacon / trustee So& So ... we cut-off our praise???  True religion (in the church) often gets twisted & contorted into a stage where we show off & pews where we become the audience that takes our cues (again form man) for standing ovations & applause.. Amen? :-X

Before the RECEIVING of Salvation ... I new that there is/was a force GREATER than I or any other human being.  And I even knew His name ... GOD.  Yet, I did not KNOW --- HIM.  I did not understand the harmonization of The TRINITY.  HIS Inspiration (The Holy Bible) was simply a book of many that I had yet to read.  I was STILL clinging on to this over-rated fear that if I became saturated in the TRUTH (Jesus) ... "I" would have to give-up "the fun" & live a DRY, boring life of skirts down below my ankles, no lipstick, perfume, etc.  Because ... THAT is what I saw & THAT is what I'd heard ... Amen? 

Soooo ... suffice to say ... it took me a minute to RECEIVE Salvation.  (LOL) :-[ 

I was once an exclusively spiritual individual.   Like  Napoleon Hill, I easily gravitated towards spirituality, because I believed in a higher power - GOD.  But I had no depth,  I didn't understand GOD; as in The Father, The Son ... AND ... The Holy Ghost!  I didn't get the fact that I was made in His Image & in His likeness.  I DID  know to attribute the power within me to HIM, but I did NOT know HOW to call on that POWER or HOW to effectively deal with evil or devastation.  I thought that my happiness was entirely connected to my OWN miniscule happy thoughts!!!  I don't know 'bout ya'll ... but that existance never filled me ... it did preoccupy me ... but it never filled me up ... inside!

Shadow without substance ... that was me & maybe a few otha's  ... BEFORE the receiving of Salvation & the "indwelling" of HIS Holy Spirit.

Can I get a witness?
    :)
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&