• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Domestic abuse in the church

Started by Kecia Sims, July 07, 2004, 09:35:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kecia Sims

Do you believe that domestic abuse occurs in the church?

What are your thoughts about leaving or staying in the marriage where there is abuse but not adultery?

Real questions regarding real issues,
Kecia

h

Yes abuse is in the church.  At times the church doesn't wish to acknowlege it.  >:(  Alot of churches are not safe havens to go to with this subject.  Its sad how much they have no clue about this subject, nor at times do they really want to.

I believe that people should flee for their safety.  I think divorce is a personal issue when it comes to this subject.  They must listen to the Holy Spirit within them to see what avenue they must go to.  With prayer they will be lead in the right direction, and at times it may be against what others feel is right.

I think people need to realize that our Lord sees us as people, and we are more important that the union we have together as man and wife.  The marriage is not more important than the people within the union.  I think at times the church feels the union must come first, and I think they overlook what Jesus might have said about that.  They complete miss the spirit.  If churches would find ways of dealing with this subject instead of sending people home with no real acknowledgment of the issue they would be much better off.  I hope some day churches will partner with local DV shelters so that faithfilled people can get both needs met - their spiritual and safety!  The church doesn't have the resources or knowledge for both, but BOY could they help people if they were not so afraid of secular at times organizations.  They (most of the time) are more than willing to work with churches.  Its sad it is not the other way around as well.