• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Backslider or apostate

Started by 1EagleSky, March 22, 2007, 09:05:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1EagleSky

Recently, I discovered that someone I know, whom I thought was a Christian (I was in attendance at the fellowship group when they gave their live to Christ), has now been practicing Buddhism for several years now. Before this person got saved, they had grown up in the Buddhist religion.

I shared this information with a friend of mine, asking how should I approach them with their need to know that God still loves them and wants them to come back to Him? I said that it was sad that this person had backslidden and is now following Buddhism. I also questioned whether their commitment to follow Christ was genuine.

My friend responded by saying that technically, I shouldn't use the term 'backslider', because it isn't accurate and comes across as mean. He said the definition of a backslider is someone who is doing things that they feel are wrong, and that a more accurate term to use would be to call this person an 'apostate', but using either term would be useless under the circumstances.

He said that I should not confront them about this but pray, because obviously something has happened that makes them believe the Bible is untrue and the claims of Buddhism are true, so at this point, no matter how well intentioned it is, questioning them about their leaving the Faith won't help.

I agree about praying and not being confrontational (though I didn't mean it in a mean way, more of wanting to know why they no longer followed Christ), but my friend's definition of 'Backslider'.....is it accurate? Also, is it more correct to say that this person who is now following Buddhist teachings is an 'Apostate'?

Just wondering....

Gracious

Hello E-1, ;)

I see your heart in every post that you write ... what a BLESSING you are ... Amen?

Here's my humble attempt to answer your question:
:-[

Backslider
(used as a noun/verb.adjective)

To relapse into bad habits, sinful behavior, or undesirable activities.   To revert to sin or wrongdoing, especially in religious practice.   someone who lapses into previous undesirable patterns of behavior.

Apostate
(Most commonly used in the adjective form)

A person who forsakes his religion, cause, party, etc.  One who has abandoned one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause. A disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc. ...  are the definitions

Though your friend appears to have changed her religion and in her choice, appears to have gone "agnostic" (NO GOD, NO WAY) ... I am led that THAT term  "Apostate" would describe the ACTIONS of your friend.  For we as human beings are free to judge the actions of another ... but not their motives ... Amen?

I must say that I'm led that your male friend is VERY wise, and has counseled you well regarding your now apparently Buddist friend.

Sista', I'm feeling that you are being led by the Holy Spirit on this one. That's why you didn't address her (your friend) initially about her actions.  I applaud you yet again, for in my eyes, you have demonstrated GREAT spiritual maturity!!!  :-*

Don't you worry about this situation because, I believe that when your desires yield towards an "agape" love for another, GOD will honor your heart for HIM, and bless you with the "HOW" (right time, right place & with the right words) to be a vessel of ministry towards / for your friend.

Whelp, that's my 2 cents :P

Gracious

"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&