• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 02:00:13 pm

Masturbation

Started by Forum Administrator, June 11, 2004, 08:25:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Administrator

Is masturbation a sin?

What do you think?
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

Sage

Is masturbation a sin? hmm Lots of views on this topic but no replies. so I'll jump in.

What does it mean to be a living sacrifice? What goes through ones mind when one is mastubating? I have heard some teachers who have searched a particular version of the Word say they can't find anywhere in the bible where masturbation is mentioned as a sin. A good resource for this is John Sanford of Eljiah ministries. He is of the opinion that masterbation becomes sinful when you add to it fantasy.

But again what does it mean to be a living sacrifice? Am I searching the Word looking for an out to cover my wicked intentions? Or am I sincerely saying Lord I am hungry in this area and I want to surrender my very being to you, Lord. And this is an area that I am longing to have filled?

I don't pretend to answer this question rather to pose others that each must take to the Lord in our own moments of weakness and hunger.  At the end of the day if I seeking to be filled by anything other than the living God, be it eating a cheeseburger or masturbating I am in sin.  Add to that the fantasy life that accompanies masturbation (not the cheeseburger) and you got the makings of a real stronghold.

Can you masterbate without fantasizing about someone in a way that does not honor them or love them? Can you bring them into your personal experience without violating who they are and who God has intended them to be in your life? Do you masterbate thinking of the intimacy of the living God? (again I am just asking a question) God created us for companionship with him, sex is a natural representation of an intimate spiritual exchange. So when one is masturbating what exchange is taking place?

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.  1 Cor 6:19, 20

anyway that's my two cents. God is able to speak to hearts turned to him. He's the one with the answers :-)

bishopbiscuits

This reminds me of a passage in the old testament. It's Leviticus 15:16.
.....I believe that it is sin. Self -stimulation deceives the body, indulging in sexual fantasy  defiles the mind and spirit.
.....Exodus 20:14..KJV....Thou shalt not commit adultery.
.....Matthew 5:27-28 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you that whosoever looketh upon a woman to lust after her hath commited adultery with her already in his heart.
.....Job 31:1.....I made a covenant with my eyes;why then should I think upon a maid?
.......Some desires get  'upgraded' to the 'appetite' level through indulgence and 'validating thoughts'.  
......Do we want to be starting something? Got to be starting something?
......The stored-up meditations that are involved in masturbation can interfere greatly with sexual intimacy in a marriage. Then God has to help us remove some of the mental/spiritual  "software" that confuses and can block the flow of mutual, exclusive discovery.
......Wrap ( or rewrap) your gift, put it under the tree, and wait for "Christmas Day."
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

ethereal

Good stuff here!

BB - What you said about the "reprogramming" is great! it's just like anything else that we put a lot of effort into. Military personnel have to be "debriefed" after returning from a particular harrowing mission, if not, they are likely to react to everyday things as if they were connected to their mission experience.

Sage - Beautiful!
Can you masturbate without fantasizing about someone in a way that does not honor them or love them?
Probably not! Especially if you're single b/c that means that whomever you're thinking about, you're commiting fornication. Here's the deal also: if you have a wife, what need would there be for self-gratification?

I speak from experience on both sides of the fence (unsaved/umarried, saved/married).