• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:56:13 pm

Giving a kidney

Started by bishopbiscuits, January 05, 2006, 03:24:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bishopbiscuits

Dear Deep Waters,

...........I made a decision several years ago, when I first heard about my dad beginning dialysis, that if the need arose, I would donate a kidney.
..........I don't have any major existing health concerns, and am beginning the screening process.  I understand that there will be adjustments before and after. taking the time to continue learning about this.
..........I don't expect everyone to agree with my choice. I have enough on my mind though with regular life, plus the implications of my choice on my life and plans to absorb.
..........With at least 1 1/2 to 2+  months before any likely surgery date, I am not in a mood to have ongoing sagas within my family about my decision. I don't expect necessarily to change how some may feel, but I also felt it was fair to let the ones closest to me know sooner rather than later.
...........So, I am venting a little. and yawning, cause I am sleepy, but I just had to get some of this off my mind. I have many things to consider, and to pray about.

.........I welcome you to share helpful information or links, and even your opinions and experiences. In the end, if we are fully compatable, I expect to undergo the procedure.

.........Thank you, Deep Waters  ;D ;D ;D
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

deelee

Hello Bishop and Happy New Year to you. I think it is a wonderful gift if it is to be. I had a family member do the same thing and was glad to offer the chance. I will say seek GOD and keep your heart, eyes, and ears opened.
I will keep you in my prayers.
Stay blessed
He who trust in his own heart is a fool, but who ever walks wisely will be delivered. Prov.28:26

pressingon

Wow what a blessing to be willing to give a kidney to your father.  My grandfather went through dialysis.  I was willing to be tested to be a kidney donor but at that time I was in college and hadn't been married or had children and he said he wouldn't allow me to do it.  I was so upset that my mom nor any of his other children even offered to go through the screening.  But I do know it is a personal choice, and he has now passed on to be with the Lord.

God Bless You BB.  As you go through this and I will pray for you and your family. 
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.
Phillipians 3:14

bishopbiscuits

Dear Deep Waters,

........First of all, I would like to say "Thanks for the encouragement. It is greatly appreciated !!" :) :) :) :) :)

........While speaking with someone who I respect in the Lord, I was asked a couple of questions. "What does the Word say about this type of  situation, what is His will? It is one thing to give of your external possessions, but what about parts of your body, your temple?"
......Now, I do believe that we can find answers in the Word of God. But I was conflicted in  the possibilities presented by this question.
......."How do I go about this search? "
......."Can I be unbiased?"
......" Would I procrastinate on praying about it, and seeking the Word about it, just to "protect" my interests?"
........" Would I choose to simply be stubborn, do what I want, take the consequences, and just work from there?"

........I know that I want the peace of God in whatever the final choice is, and I could live with a substantial reason to change my mind. I will have to be humble on this one.

Please, moderators, members, if you have scripture or experience with a similar question, post it ;D   Or if you would like to share a story without posting it to the open forum, send me a personal message through Deep Waters. Your time and effort to inform and share will be highly valued.

Some of the general facts:

1. this would be my first major surgery
2. recovery could be 4-6 weeks......(can I have waffles and ice cream?  ;D )
3. there are no guarantees as far as the transplant being successful and long term (5+ years or more) for my dad.
4. There aren't any financial concerns on my part: employment and finances are flexible and in order.
5. There will be some lifestyle changes. Nothing major after the recovery is finished, though.

.......It will be at least two or three more weeks before the initial tests are finished. So, I believe that surgery is possible to take place in late February, or sometime in March, but there may be other factors in that as well.
......In the meantime, I am going to get a full checkup, and talk some things over with my doctor. Be up to date on my own health, which is good  as far as I know. Not on any medications for any conditions.

.......Thank you               BB
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

da2bjeez

Howdy  ;D

First of all I would like to commend you on just even thinking about considering such a big task! From being in the medical field I think I can give some advice. In the word of God he promises us three score ten years on earth any thing more would only be sorrow and pain. A score is 20 yrs and 10 which adds up to 70. First may I ask how old is your dad? Now God is so awesome that we were fearfully and wonderfully made, and that applies to everyting. We are created so perfect that even at the smellest or biggest surgery are bodies are able to still function properly.

First I would advise any christian not to take the advice of any doctor literally. I would even tell my patients not to take my word at hand, depend on God, but you can't always tell your patient that(hehe). Remember there is life and death in the tough your healing could be 1 wk or maybe two considering this is a major surgery, but all things our possiable with God. If your dad is somewhere close to the promised age that God has giving say maybe 54/65 and up than go ahead. If he is older then 70 he has already received Gods promise and is only living in favor, then there would be no need. Is he saved, if no take this time to witness to him. Praying right now is the only thing you can do. God is so good that you loosing a kidney would not affect your body at all, thats just the way our mastor created us! With Gods hand in your life you are safe.

In Christ Only

(Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV)
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Forum Administrator

Here's my contribution (just what came to mind as I read your post):

"Remember this: he who sows sparingly and grudgingly will also reap sparingly and grudgingly, and he who sows generously [that blessings may come to someone] will also reap generously and with blessings. Let each one [give] as he has made up his own mind and purposed in his heart, not reluctantly or sorrowfully or under compulsion, for God loves (He takes pleasure in, prizes above other things) a cheerful (joyous, "prompt to do it") giver [whose heart is in his giving]. And God is able to make all grace (every favor and earthly blessing) come to you in abundance, so that you may always and under all circumstances and whatever the need be self-sufficient [possessing enough to require no aid or support and furnished in abundance for every good work and charitable donation.]" - 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (AMPLIFIED) 

If you meet these criteria of giving as it pleases God, give. If not, don't. :)
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

bishopbiscuits

Dear DW,

..........here's an update:

......Results of blood test: I am a match for my dad. not a perfect match, but close enough to continue in the process. 3 out of 6
.......I have two more sets of tests to undergo, mostly to ensure that I am in well enough condition to donate.

.........I was made a little uneasy for a moment. Don't know if it was ego or what, but I had more confidence in the potential success of the gift before hearing 3 out of six.
........Maybe not ego, just the desire to see the opportunity and investment not be wasted. No backsies once it is out of me you see?
........The waffles and ice cream? I believe that can be arranged.  ;) I am the oldest son, who'll be with family during recovery. I'll be out of town and in good hands :)
........There are no guarantees, but all in all , no matter what, it wil all work out fine. My dad is saved,  very active in his church before his current battles. No fears there.
........I still have a very good situation as far as work. I can meter out some of my leave to take care of automatically deducted items. And all travel expenses are being paid for by my parents.
........In some ways, I am tired of the wait, but this waiting has a purpose, and is both good and necessary. I can go on, put some things in order, so that if/when the time comes, I won't have a worry while I am out of town.
.........I have some  reading and foreign language study that I can do while recovering. Getting bored might become more uncomfortable than recovery! ::)
......... Any recommendations for passing the time besides this and channel hopping? Post or send a personal message ;D
........Thinking about organizing a family gathering before I come back to town. I haven't cooked for them yet, and it will be something small and casual. OK, the ones that I have cooked for look forward to a return 8) Even on a small scale, it will be a nice challenge.

......That's all, folks!   

Breathedonme

Bishop -- Keeping you and your dad in my prayers.  As we say in our chuch - " DO IT GOD!!!"

bishopbiscuits

Dear Deep Waters  ;D

.............Just wanted to say thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I figured that it was time for an update, so here goes....... :)

............The process is longer than I anticipated as far as testing and evaluation goes. Being out of the area of the main hospital produced some further slow ups to get to the second stage of testing. Still haven't got the call about that to make an appointment. Which may be a moot point now.
...........My dad has been fighting some other additional physical illnesses in the last several months. A few weeks ago, we thought he might be leaving us.
...........With the support of his family, and God showing him that he still had work to do, he found the strength to set his sights on rehabilitation ;D ;D ;D
..........While I was visiting to see about him and my family, we talked about different things. He has decided not to pursue the operation any further. He will continue to make whatever adjustments he needs to make for his own life. He just wants me to live my own life, honor God, and be happy.
..........We love each other very much, and this continued to come through in our sharing while I was visiting. Provided that all was physically in order, I was at peace with going through the procedure. And any pampering that came with being in my second home  :P ;D
..........So, I am thankful for my dad, thankful for being prepared to take the step if needed, and thankful for how our relationship has grown over the years.

............Sorry for any suspense......Thanks again for the prayers and thoughts!!        BB
:) :) :)

Imagineme

Dear BB,

I hope that I am not too late with this message. It's been some time since I was on this web site.  I pray that you and your dad are well and that God answers your questions and/or gives Peace to your mind while you are waiting on Him.  I am glad that you and your Dad are getting closer. I can list all the scriptures in the world but there is nothing like the Revelation Knowledge of God (A Rhema Word), hearing from Him for yourself to know that the decisions that you and your dad have made are right.