• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Secular Artists singing Gospel Music?

Started by pressingon, June 08, 2005, 10:40:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pressingon

Just wanted to get some dialog goiing.  I"m curious to see other's opinions about this.

Here's the background:

I do rideshare when commuting in the morning.  I don't have any control over what is or isn't playing over the radio during my 30-45 minute commute in the morning.  Well this morning, I heard R. Kelly's new song.  Don't even know the title.  It was basically very vividly describing a sex scene if you don't know what I"m speaking of.  In fact, I could picture in my head the act as he was singing.  I usually use this time to The Word or a good book.  As I was reading I just couldn't focus on anything but those lyrics.  I had to pray...do you know the lady changed the station.  I guess it got to be a little much for her ;)

Now, when I listen to one of R. Kelly's gospel songs such as "U Saved Me."  It just doesn't sound right no more.

What do you think?  Does it seem like I"m judging the brother? Should we purchase his music or the music of other's such as Michelle Williams from Destiny's Child?  Just wanted to get some other perspectives on it.

Pressingon
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.
Phillipians 3:14

Forum Administrator

Hi pressingon. I received a similar question via email a while back. The person had heard Kanye West's "Jesus Walks" and wanted to know what we [the email recipients] thought about secular people singing gospel and [Christians] singing gospel rap. My response follows. Some of it applies directly to your question, some indirectly.
QuoteIf the devil speaks truth it's still truth, but that doesn't mean that I want to sit and listen to the devil talking. I would rather hear gospel music from someone who knows something about God and has a relationship with Him and the anointing that God makes available to bring to life the message of His word through song.  However, generally speaking, I don't have a problem with secular people singing gospel. I might not hear it unless it's played on a Christian station, but if the message is true, the life/lifestyle of the person singing doesn't contradict the message, and the message of the song can help someone turn to Christ and bring glory to God, let them sing on. Who knows if God won't use the very words of the song the secular person is singing to draw that one to Himself? Everything that has breath can praise Him, regardless of whether they know Him or not. But if we are tuned into God's Spirit, He will put a witness or a check in our spirits when we hear certain sounds so that we can know if it's something we should be listening to or not.

Rap is nothing new. David the King was a rapper. He spoke words to music. The devil has taken something that has been used in the worship of God and has tried to use it to bring worship to himself and what he represents. As far as I'm concerned, "gospel" rap is the original rap. What I do have a problem with are Christian rappers who portray themselves in the same manner as secular rappers (i.e. grabbing their crotch, butt, back and belly hanging out, etc.) That adds confusion to the presentation of the message and blurs the line between godliness and ungodliness. As long as the christian rapper represents Christ in word and deed (on and off stage), that's fine with me.

That being said, one last thought on this for me personally. Maybe it's just me getting older, but when I listen to music I don't have time to figure out what the person is saying or to sift through a lot of noise to hear the message. If I listen to something that disturbs my spirit, is offensive in it's presentation, makes me question the motive behind the music or message, I don't have time for it. For some of us (who care to be honest), a certain beat or bass alone can get our bodies and minds in an uproar. So we have to, as the Bible says, "gird up the loins of our minds:" tighten that mind up so that the things (that edify) are held in and the things that don't edify are kept out.

P.S. You might want to invest in/carry along a CD walkman and keep your own spiritual songs ready for the carpool for such occasions.  ;)
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

bishopbiscuits

Pressingon,...........(Note: I am speaking in terms of secular and nonsecular)

............I don't believe that you are judging him. You touched on one of the basic questions of Christianity and Christian music..

1.  Is Christianity about religion? wanting to be seen in a more spiritual/deep light? being accepted by religious family and friends? wanting to receive some of the benefits of relationship/ association with God, while ignoring the accountability?

2. What about becoming a Christian artist after being a secular artist? A musical "binge" to satisfy your sense of spirituality, or connectedness to God? Or perhaps an attempt to balance out the past with a fervent but temporary reach for God? Have they truly sought Him about their transition, and how it should unfold?

........I have compassion for the artists and musicians that struggle with their religious beliefs. But I believe that  if a secular artist desires to change to a Christian message,  that they should have a time of consecration and sanctification first.
.........It's challenging enough at times for us all as we go through our own private growth in Christ. To  be a public figure,  harder in some ways. They may have to stretch their talents and vision in a direction that is uncomfortable for them. Have the determination to invest differently into their lives, and deal with the "attachments" and residue of their former lifestyle. Plus the folks that are attached to their former lifestyle.
..........However, in simple terms, the Christian message is about establishing, maintaining, and growing in knowledge and relationship with God. To bring others into the Body of Christ, and to edify, exhort, and comfort the Body of Christ.
.........Because He gave His Word, His breath, His image, His Son, and His Spirit to us, I can only conclude that the nature of our relationship with  Him is meant to be intimate. (Besides we, the church, are called the Bride of Christ).
.........Christian music speaks to many areas of our lives, and in different ways. Its themes may be correction, teaching, encouragement, thanksgiving, joy, sorrow, support, and love. Faith , power, victory, hope, forgiveness, restoration, and peace. It challenges us to remember  the mighty God we serve and the awesome covenant that we seek to fulfil our part of, by grace. And to have righteousness with one another.

.......My personal preference is that an artist no matter whether they started in the church or out, be sincere in their heart, their words, and lifestyle in relationship with Christ.
.........I believe that an artist of another genre of music can crossover. But it should only be one way; towards Christ Jesus. And there may be some growing pains that they go through as an artist to get to where God wants them to be.  My hope is that they would be true to God and self first. Check their own motives  before attempting something as selfless as truly serving/ministering to others. Being guided by the Gift Giver first, instead of the gift.
....... A musical gift or talent is not enough on its own to bear the mandate of a God given and God prepared music ministry. And we all, especially those who operate in official/public capacities, should be mindful and respectful of the  Name we proclaim.
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

bishopbiscuits

P.S.  Your response also reminded me about being lukewarm;

REV 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

..........................................................................................................................

..........Let's say that a person walks into a diner. They come up to the counter and ask for a chicken sandwich. Moments later:

Customer: I thought that this was supposed to be chicken!?!
Cook: It is chicken.
Customer: It tastes like beef.
Cook: It's definitely chicken.
Customer: Take a look. Are you still so sure?
Cook: Oh. You're right. I meant to make chicken, though.
Customer: Well??
Cook: Enjoy your sandwich. (Cook disappears into the kitchen.)

Who do you want to serve you musical "food?"
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

pressingon

Thanks for your replies. 

Forum Admin, about not taking a lot of time to get to the message of a song, I don't think its an age thing at all.  I think its a maturity thing ;).  I used to like the beat of a song first and it would take me a minute to really get down to the message of it.  Often I would know all the lyrics, sing along with the song, and still not really realize what I was singing.  Now I've noticed that since I'm maturing spiriturally, Although I do enjoy a good beat and that may attract me 1st.  I'm focusing on the message of that song and what that message is doing for me spiritually.  Not to say I only listen to Gospel or Praise and Worship.  But I don't voluntarily listen to anything that can damage my spirit.

BB, I agree with you and your analogy of the importance not being only on what is being served but on the server.  Also on what is being served is not always as it seems.  There are many forms of godliness.  That was a real creative way of looking at it  :).
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.
Phillipians 3:14