• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 05:46:44 pm

Entertainment

Started by ethereal, August 26, 2004, 04:52:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ethereal

Thanks for the space  :)

Anywhoo, a co-worker offered to let me watch a movie that he was sent by a friend. This movie just happens to be in theaters at this very moment. I didn't puchase, or even request the movie, as I had no idea that he would have posession of it. By me watching the movie, does set a wrong example? I feel ok with it, I just wanted some of "Deep" people to weigh in!

Forum Administrator

Hi ethereal. This is actually a very interesting issue and a lot "deep"er than it may initially appear on the surface. There does seem to be an issue of honesty involved. We know that bootleg videos are illegal, so the question then becomes, should I have anything to do with something that is illegal? (I've watched more than one bootleg video in my lifetime so I'm asking myself the same question... now.) Would this be something that would fall under the scriptural principle of "setting no evil thing before my eyes" or "having nothing to do with the evil deeds of darkness," or "whatever is not of faith (i.e. causes me to doubt) is sin," or "he that knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin?" These are just a few of the principles that come to mind as I ponder your question. It may sound a bit extreme, but now that I'm thinking about it, the doubt I am personally feeling about whether or not I should watch another bootleg video is enough to make me think that I probably shouldn't. Whew! It's not always easy trying to live uprightly. Now, what on earth am I going to do about these bootleg videos my husband brought home!  ;D
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

ethereal

I always like to hear others' viewpoints on the "everyday" things. I didn't really feel anything about watching the movie since i didn't pay for it or even request it and it isn't  mine to own, but you did raise some interesting points. I am actually not in the habit of watching or listening to pirated anything, as I'm not interested in most of what passes for entertainment these days. Indeed, we walk a tight line. If it was a matter of being in the presence of someone who I knew was against it, I naturally would not have watched or mentioned it, so as not to be the one "through whom the offense comes"

P.S. I don't know, what ARE you going to do about those bootleg movies  ;)

IEve

Hi ethereal,

I don't know that it matters whether you paid for it or requested the movie or not.  You watched it, that is all that matters.  1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Abstain from all appearance of evil."

Remember, Exodus 20:15 "Thou shalt not steal."  By watching the movie you are stealing the intellectual property of another.  If you friend had blind folded you and snuck you into the theater without paying, would you have stayed once you realize you had stolen the seat?  Would it have matter that you didn't ask or know that he was sneaking you in?

Moreover, there is such a thing as an accomplice after the fact.  By knowing full well that the movie was bootleg and viewing it anyway, you became and accomplice after the fact.  Remember when Achan stole the forbidden treasure and hid it, his entire household was destroyed. The implication being although Achan stole the forbidden treasure, others knew it was in the house and allowed it to remain against God's will.  They were in essence accomplices after the fact.  

Now, God just reminded me that I did the same thing just the other day without even giving it a second thought.  Bless God for correction!!! ;)