• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

When to shut up and to speak out?

Started by gracegirl, November 25, 2008, 05:13:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gracegirl

Hello all,
I'm on a project that has turned into a very devisive situation that the head of the whole project has created.  There are two groups working on this projects and everyone has to work as team, separately in order for it to be a success. It started when errors we're made between my peers and myself as a team unintentionally. Keep in mind we hadn't  been given adequate time to flesh out key aspects to the project in order for it to really work. Also everyone on the team is at varying levels in there field. I'm at a professional level!

The head of the project begins approaching me and sending me emails about my errors in a non-constructive manner while everyone else got a free pass. I acknowledged my errors, took the notes but also  spoke up in my defense because I felt I was being unfairly targeted.  I was only being acknowledged when I made a mistake! So my team decided to get together and work on improvements outside of actual work. Long story short the criticisms toward me, even when I've clearly made improvements, has continued up to this point and I've been really upset about it.  :'( I expressed to my peers what was happening and sent them one of the emails so they could see for themselves the erroneous crap that was being said to me.  I thought because we all we're a team they'd have my back but they didn't really support me . Then I expressed leaving the project and they didn't think I should. Then I thought I shouldn't because I've invested so much time into this already.

This male member I've known for a while and really respected on the team, that's also a Christian, that I thought would be understanding basically told me in so many words "put up or shut up" and thought I was being unprofessional and disrepectful.  I was disheartened! :-[ 

Should I have just shut up and kept it PC or was I right to express my disagreement? Is this is a lesson in humility? A test of my faith? I'm so mad right now, I don't even know where in the word to turn to about this situation.  I feel like I don't know who my friends are anymore if I really have any. I'm starting to think maybe I did do something wrong and the lord is trying to show me myself.  I don't know. I'm hoping someone could shed some light or some scriptures on this thing. I not sure how to handle this anymore! I'm starting to regret sending them that email.  It's going to be really awkward going back to that environment next week.

David Dupree

Gracegirl,

Sounds like you are in quite a pickle.  The key though is to go through it with grace. hahahaha.  I really mean that though.  Are you going to allow the enemy to work through these folks and mess up your testimony or are you going to recall the greater in you than in the world and allow the greater to bring you through? 

Sure it sounds like there are some real issues there regarding your culpability, but that should not allow the members of the "team" to point fingers.  Be that as it may, you can't control them, but you can control you! 

Continue to be prayerful.  Maybe it is time for your to step up your game..so you can get the promotion coming your way. :-) 

You may not be able to do much about the personal element to all this, but you can do something about your participation.  Don't run from it.  You are the light of the world.  You carry the Creator of the universe in you.  Is there anything too hard for God? No!  Put a smile on your face, stop being the victim and be the victor! 

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with your projecthead's assessment of you or the situation.  But there again, you can't control his/her focus, but you can control your responses. 

"Not sure how to handle this anymore"? Do not allow the enemy to take this situation and use it to stir up doubt and unbelief.  There is no situation concerning you that God does not want to take part in.  Your situation will not be awkward if you are not awkward.  Hold your head up and walk on in there with Godly confidence.  Keep your confidence in God...He has your situation in and under control.  So let go and let God.....

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"