• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Did Jesus really mean this, literally?

Started by sagesong, March 13, 2008, 11:53:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sagesong

Matthew 5:

38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[g] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.

Gracious

Quote from: sagesong on March 13, 2008, 11:53:10 am

QuoteDid Jesus really mean this?

Matthew 5:

38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'[g] 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Had to go back & get more of a contextual reference from Mat. 5  ... Amen?

Matthew 5:37-44 (KJV)
37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

38Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 5:37-44 (NIRV)
37 "Just let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes.' Let your 'No' mean 'No.' Anything more than this comes from the evil one.

Be Kind to Others

38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye must be put out for an eye. A tooth must be knocked out for a tooth.'--(Exodus 21:24; Leviticus 24:20; Deuteronomy 19:21)

39 But here is what I tell you. Do not fight against an evil person.
   "Suppose someone hits you on your right cheek. Turn your other cheek to him also.

40 Suppose someone takes you to court to get your shirt. Let him have your coat also.

41 Suppose someone forces you to go one mile. Go two miles with him.

42 "Give to the one who asks you for something. Don't turn away from the one who wants to borrow something from you.

Love Your Enemies

43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor.--(Leviticus 19:18) Hate your enemy.'

44 But here is what I tell you. Love your enemies. Pray for those who hurt you.

Sage,

Yes, (within scriptural context) I do believe that He meant every word!

"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

sagesong

Then what do you think is scriptural context? 
Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.

Gracious

It appears that I was the only person who had answered your initial question. And not only did I answer you ... I went further by "carefully" taking the time to provide 2 translations of THAT scripture - including "surrounding passages for clarification" ... which ALSO answers your 2nd question! 

Perhaps you might shed some light on where you wish to go with this?

Gracious
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

sagesong

Thank you so much for so graciously taking the time to answer my question, for going out of your way to carefully, take the extra time to provide 2 translations of the scripture and the surrounding passages.

I clearly did not understand your intentions.  I must be confused.  Thank you again for giving me your time.

Gracious

You are most welcomed! :)

Wasn't about "going of out my way" tho" :-\ 

What translation were you using? ... Was my immediate thought ... soooo, to better try and understand what it was that you were asking/wanting, I'd "carefully" posted 2 translations.  Have you ever tried to post dual scripts side by side on a cyber medium (lining up the verses)? 

Not an easy thing to do "unless" you do it "verrrry carefully" ;)

Now,

Could you answer this question ... please.

Quote"...Perhaps you might shed some light on where you wish to go with this?"

Thx,

Gracious

sagesong

I posted the thread here and on another site simultaneously.   I recieved many responses on the other site and got some very thoughtful feedback. 

Once it was established, by most that Jesus did mean the passages literally,  the discussion turned to context, meaning, and application.  I may not have asked you the correct follow up question.  I do apologize.

My original thought when reading the scripture was honestly -- Jesus has lost his mind.  Then I came back to myself and remember I was talking about The JESUS. lol. 

You don't have to reply necessarily.  Unless you want to, then I would be happy to read your reply. 

I just wanted to clear up the confusion.  Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my original post. 

Gracious

I'll tell you what I "wrestle" with ...

When JESUS said this:

Matthew 5:40-44 (NIRV)

40 Suppose someone takes you to court to get your shirt. Let him have your coat also.

41 Suppose someone forces you to go one mile. Go two miles with him.

42 "Give to the one who asks you for something. Don't turn away from the one who wants to borrow something from you.

Love Your Enemies

43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor.--(Leviticus 19:18) Hate your enemy.'

44 But here is what I tell you. Love your enemies. Pray for those who hurt you.

Sage,

I'm a forgiving sista', perhaps you'll need to minister to me on this ... but ... not taking someone who's wronged me to court? ... especially when they've  ILLEGALLY wronged me!!!

Here's my meaning:

My Pastor's son was the Pastor of a church. A few deacons got mad at him, went to 2 realtors & arranged to sell some of the churches property. Without the knowledge or consent of the their Pastor, the Deacon board, the Trustee board, or the congregation.  And then if that wasn't enough ... these same two deacons pad-locked the doors of the church so that "their own Pastor" (again, who was my Pastor's son) was locked out!!!

And guess what?  My Pastor's son would not LEGALLY restrain these two men (in a court of law)... even though "technically" what these two deacons had done was illegal! Instead, he simply took his congregation elsewhere & started a new church.

Huh ... I guess I've got a lot of growing "in HIS Grace" to do, because had that have been me ... Huuuuuuuney, let's just say ... not only would I have taken them to court!!!  Their children's children would STILL be payin' me & the "new" church that I was "forced" to plant!

sagesong

I'm with you. I'm still learning to trust God, to acknowledge him in all my ways, to let him fight my battles, to truly cast my cares on him.

I think maybe your Pastor's son didn't want to be bound by and to something that God was trying to free him from.  Like the children of Israel, we can stay in Egypt and fight for our rights or we can move into the promised land.  Either way their is a fight ahead to be sure.  But, if Egypt isn't your destiny why wage war there?   

Not to mention, if you want my shirt and I willingly give you it and my coat as well, your offense has no power over me.  Also, if you are forcing me to do something to meet your need, if I willing do it and more.  Wow!!  Right? Now I am laying down my life for my brother.

These are just my thoughts.  I of course could be reading it wrong. 
I am still "wrestling"  even as God is showing me, teaching me, and leading me. 

Gracious

Thank you Sage

I needed EVERY WORD you gave me!!!  Didn't stop to THINK about my Pastors son in such a "mature" unselfish - Godly way!!!  All I saw was anger & contempt for anyone that would seek to harm him.

What you shared with me has tempered me - pressed me to see beyond the natural ... to the spiritual ... to just where JESUS is in that situation.

And ... "your offense has no power over me" ...girl ... THAT spoke a chilling TRUTH to my spirit too!!!

You hit the nail on the head!!!  NOW ... I get it!!!

GOD Bless you

:-*

sagesong

Now can we pray that I get it.  I mean I know it, but I need to really get it so I can walk in it. 

Thank you talking with me so that God can work this out in me. 

Gracious

Yeah, I agree ... you DO know it!  Its all in your spirit!  That's why you were able to share "it" (the lesson of those scriptural verses) to me, in a life application way.  Isn't that what GOD's inspiration - The Holy Bible is for? I believe that's why GOD gave HIS written Word to us ... so that we may apply HIS principles into our daily lives.

It's one thing to be familiar with this Holy Book - quoting script's, know where to find them, knowing all of the key people & all of the major & minor stories within The Holy Bible.  But for me the PURPOSE of HIS Inspiration - HIS Holy Word - The Holy Bible, is APPLICATION.  Knowing HOW to APPLY what we read from this book, into our daily lives.  Which calls into fore, another aspect of "application" ... WISDOM! 

From heaven, GOD sent us another aspect of HIMSELF - HIS SPIRIT - our Knowledge Regulator.  Wherefore, we are able to harness what we learn, extrapolate it (figure it out), so that we may use it where HE deems necessary ... Amen?

That's what YOU did for me.  And I bless you for it!  YOU translated "the spirit" of HIS inspiration - His written WORD, in terms that made sense to me.  You didn't make me feel stupid, you simply shared what The Holy Spirit gave you.  And THAT ministered ... to me.  Now when I read THAT scripture, I have a "personal" reference for it (a learned lesson) and I shall NEVER forget it.  As a matter of fact, rather than anger for what happened to my Pastor's son ... I've been given a testimony!!!  What an exchange!!!

You said,

Quote"I think maybe your Pastor's son didn't want to be bound by and to something that God was trying to free him from.  Like the children of Israel, we can stay in Egypt and fight for our rights or we can move into the promised land.  Either way their is a fight ahead to be sure.  But, if Egypt isn't your destiny why wage war there? "

Now, THAT was WISDOM!!! What's not to get ???

Gracious

sagesong

I think for me it about application.  I want to walk in the truth that I know.  If it were my Pastor's son, or better still me, I'd have to lay before God confessing anger and rage.  Turning the other check would be a struggle, not at all my first response, or my second for that matter. 

Gracious

True ... True.

But the beauty of us as human beings is our desire to "strive for perfection". which indicates that we each are imperfect ... Amen?  Do you believe that Jesus judges our imperfections "negatively" when we "earnestly" strive to seek HIS face?  What I'm saying is, GOD allows us to be who we are (imperfections & all) as long as we renew our minds daily in HIM.  HE knows our flesh ... far better than we, 'cause HE gave it to us! 

Maybe I'm wrong for feeling this ... but ... I don't feel bad about my "past" anger concerning those two deacons.  GOD never told us that anger was a sin!  The sin comes in when we HOLD that anger, long enough to become disconnected from HIS Voice - HIS WILL.

Now that I know better!  I'm too grateful to GOD for were I am now with that situation.  And it only took seconds to remove that burden! Only the time that it took for me to read the post that GOD gave you to write.

To me, walking in TRUTH ... is walking with Jesus, as in feeling that HE is accessible / available right where we are! I don't feel guilty for wanting to SLAP some sense into those men.  I feel GRATEFUL that I didn't DO anything to them including talking about them (gossiping) sooo that I wouldn't have a snowball effect of repenting to do!

I walk with my Savior - talk to him many times a day, and I don't try to walk in HIS shoes of Perfection. I simply keep the connection strong * HE takes care of EVERYTHING else!!!

Case in point ... HE sent me here to adjust (admonish) my spirit - right when I needed it!!! And I'm free-er for it! 

Maybe we shouldn't place so much value in what we'd failed to do in our past ... Maybe we ought to concern ourselves with simply getting closer to HIM & HE will take care of everything else ... including our anger & fear & our doubt.

sagesong

Bless your heart.  Really.  I hear you and I'm declare that my soul (emotions) received it.   I am striving.   Thank you.