• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Thinking Is Not Enough

Started by Forum Administrator, May 07, 2006, 12:57:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Administrator

THINKING IS NOT ENOUGH

Take a moment and consider the state of your life. How is it with you? Are you prospering? Are you experiencing good success? Are you living a victorious, abundant, peaceful, joyful, wealthy life? If not, take another moment and consider the things you have said and are saying on a regular basis. Do you see any correlation between your words and the state of your life?

In our last Walking On Water issue, we discussed "What Are You Saying?" We talked about how God--having made us in His image and in His likeness (to look and to function like Him)--has given us creative power including the power of our words to speak things into existence as He did.

God has given us guaranteed keys to good success and prosperity. One of those keys is found in the book of Joshua, chapter 1 and verse 8: "This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success."

You may say, "I have been meditating on the Word of God, but I have not made my way prosperous and I have not dealt wisely or had good success." That may be because you have not understood what 'meditation' really is. Biblical meditation is more than just thinking about something. The first key in this verse is realizing that we have been given the material upon which to meditate: the Word of God--specifically, the instructions, promises, and benefits that God has given to us. That means we need to be reading and hearing the Word of God in order to know what the specific subject matter of our meditation should be.

The second key is understanding that we meditate to do: to attend to carefully and put into practice those things that God has said we are to do. God is looking for more than just mere mental assent: He honors and rewards obedience.

The third key is knowing that thinking about God's instructions, promises, and benefits is only the start of meditation. The word that is translated 'meditate' in this verse is the Hebrew word, 'Hagah' which has a three-fold meaning: 1) to think about: to deliberately call to mind; 2) to mutter: to speak quietly to yourself (in a manner that others cannot hear you); and 3) to roar: to utter loudly and forcefully. Bringing God's promises, instructions, and benefits to your mind is good, but the key to giving life to those words and seeing results is to speak those words--His promises, instructions, and benefits... and to keep speaking them.

"I don't think I'll ever be married." "I don't have any friends." "I'll never meet anyone." "I never have enough money." "I'm always messing up." "I don't believe others find me attractive." "I'll never be able to afford that." "I'm just weak that way." "She/he/I'll never change." Many of us have been meditating--thinking, speaking, shouting--negative words and seeing the results. If you want to prosper and have good success, pay careful attention to what God says; do what God says to do; and keep the instructions, benefits, and promises of God in your mouth.
---------
More scriptures on meditation ('hagah'):
Psalm 1:2
Psalm 63:6
Psalm 77:12
Psalm 143:5

Aleathea Dupree is the author of Though The Vision Tarry: Waiting For My Promised Mate and the Founder and Administrator for the Deep Waters website/forum. Copyright © 2006. All Rights Reserved. For permission to reprint, please contact: administrator@deepwaters.info.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

Gracious

Hello FA (and errr-body  :) )And Thank You !!!

...especially when you'd penned:

QuoteGod has given us guaranteed keys to good success and prosperity. One of those keys is found in the book of Joshua, chapter 1 and verse 8: "This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success."

My dilema:

I am in a place where I've been abundantly blessed on one hand  (my personal life... kissed a frog or two ... 'til GOD blessed me w/ my prince - WHEW & A-A-A-MEN !!!!) yet the Holy Spirit has called me to a higher place in HIM professionally...

Now, I've used Joshua's meditation practice ... and still do continually, and I feel the excitement of a break-through ... but the medium that I thought should propel me forward (those living and working in ministry) .... those leaders I've been exposed to that I "humbly" love & respect - seem to be ...Whelp... "not there ??? for me ... to mentor me ... WHY ???

Confused yet still somewhat grateful and ever hopeful,  :-\

Gracious

"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

David Dupree

Gracious,

You said in part "but the medium that I thought should propel me forward ..."

That is exactly the problem. God is doing this thing.  So let Him do it as He wills.  He knows that you desire/need some level of mentoring within the area of ministry to which you are called.  I believe he will give you the desire of your heart...just maybe not like you pictured it.   

In the meantime, you have been taught, studied, prayed etc and are well-able to move forward as the Spirit leads..unless of course your leaders told you otherwise.  But as long as you have their blessing and support, drive and go forward.

One thing about a baby bird.  When the bird gets to a certain age, the mother bird will push it out the nest and force the bird to fly.  Fly Gracious!!!

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

Gracious

....but "I" thought

(and what is the name of this thread  :P Gracious... HMMMMM) ...

...still ... "I" thought that where I was looking (my religious enviroment) was where I was supposed to seek support.  ???

...and what I'm gleaning from you is that GOD via the Holy Spirit & the green-light from my spiritual/religious leaders (which I have ... I think ??? ... I mean, they've acknowledged & accepted & have counseled in agreement with me regarding the call on my life - a while back...W-A-A-A-A-Y back), they & lots of others, call on me to minister (through song) all over.

I guess what I was looking for was some hand-holding/guidance (e.g. "... now I've been where your headed ... watch out for this ... or ... I've noticed that you ... and you may want to seek GOD's face in this area ...   You know DD ... "mentoring")

...OH!!! ... which is what you just did  (lights-on  :o )

... I hear you, and trust your wisdom ... AMEN?

May I say "OUCH" before I burst into flight ???

Thank you, thank you, & GOD bless ya'

Gracious

"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

David Dupree

Hi Gracious,
Encouragment and Caution

Just wanted to encourage you in your pursuits and let you know that I know exactly where you are. Been there.  It is especially difficult when you really want the validation/mentorship from the "watchmen" over your soul and it doesn't seem to be forthcoming-at least not at the level you would like or perceive is needed.  So hang in there and trust God.

I do want to caution you though, to stay focused so that the enemy doesn't sneak in and turn your "lack" into bitterness and then into pride.  Whatever you do, stay submitted to leadership that is good and trustworthy as yours sounds like it is. 

I can't count the times and people who had zeal, a piece of knowledge and a little gift, but did not want to wait their turn, preferring to say "God said" and therefore ignored the words (or lack thereof) from their leadership before launching out.  All this works to form the nexus for rebellion which the Bible notes is as the sin of witchcraft.

There is too much bastardizing in the natural to perpetuate the same in the spiritual. (whoa...I think I just said sumptin)  That is how most new ministries are formed.   But it doesn't make it the best way.

The vision is still yet for an appointed time, and though the vision tarry, WAIT!  Since God is not gonna withhold any good thing from those who walk uprightly before Him, I am sure that will include good ministry.

"He who has begun a good work in you..." 

dd

p.s.By the way, did you happen to stop and think that your leaders trust what is already in you enough to know that they need to focus on the babes on the milk and let you digest the meat in you already.

I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

Gracious

Dear DD,

All I can say is ... Thank you Lord!!!

Encouragement & Caution...

I have printed-out your message (both of them) and they rest on my refrigorator in the kitchen and in my favorite bible.

When you said:

Quote"...I do want to caution you though, to stay focused so that the enemy doesn't sneak in and turn your "lack" into bitterness and then into pride.  Whatever you do, stay submitted to leadership that is good and trustworthy as yours sounds like it is..." 
[/color]

In our Adults Sunday School classes (before our morning worship) we are studing "DIVINE WISDOM" as it relates to the Holy Spirit!!! (Scriptural emphasis on King Solomon...Proverbs 2&3, IIChronicles 1:8-12, 9:3-23).

I didn't even know to think of the bitterness piece regarding the human condition (which would have been my condition, if you hadn't warned me... I'll be mindful) ... & then your closing Post Script...

Quotep.s.By the way, did you happen to stop and think that your leaders trust what is already in you enough to know that they need to focus on the babes on the milk and let you digest the meat in you already.

PERRRFECTO!!! :D

...O-U-C-H!!!

....This lets me know to be encouraged ... and that when I'm goin' thru ... eerrr-thang aint always 'bout me... jus' because I'm goin' thru ... so take my eyes off of self and point them heavenward for HIS good ... which ... is the reason for the Call anyways !!! 

Am I on the right track... so far?

Gracious

David Dupree

Yes you are on track.

Also, by allowing yourself to depend on God, you open yourself for Him to send other mentors/advisors.  Remember the following:

Prov. 11:14 Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.
Prov. 24:6 For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.

Of course the above is true.  Yet, beware of counsel from Job's friends.  :-)

dd

Gracious

Amen Brutha' DD,

Thanks,

Ummm ... still marinating on the "WAITING on HIM" factor (you know ... the GOD's timing - piece) ... I'm trusting in GOD to strengthen me, as you've helped me to see how important this is.

(You know, it would be great if all the areas of our lives - matured at the same time ....

...a few posts back I'd mentioned that my personal life is "waaaay coool"  --- but, then GOD calls me fix the other side ... my professional-self ... for HIM.)

I guess HE really does desire ALL of us (as in every part of us)  HMMM...

Anyways, you said:

Quote"...Prov. 11:14 Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.
Prov. 24:6 For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.

Of course the above is true.  Yet, beware of counsel from Job's friends."  :-)

...Probably gonna take me a'lil while to absorb "ALL" the seasoning, 'cause that's soooooooo deep a statement!!! Amen?

Favorite bible - flippin' to JOB - I'm trusting GOD to get me there!!! :D

Gracious