• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Church Tug of War

Started by gracegirl, July 28, 2005, 04:47:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gracegirl

:-\ I've been a member of my current church home for over 7years now and it's one of those "mega churches" as they call them these days. I grew and matured in my faith at this church, faithfully gave tithe and offering etc. However, lately, I've just been discerning something different , like the messages  always seem to be about "prosperity". Not that I'm against the body being prosperous but I guess it seems like there is another agenda behind these messages, like give em the feel good message to keep em coming and giving financially while watering down the truth. Plus it seems they're political influences filtering in also. Basically the spirit just ain't in there anymore! Don't get me wrong I don't depend on Sundays Only to get fed, I try to do that daily with prayer etc. Anyway, I started attending another church, that I really like. It's more spirit led and genuine and I was getting fed. Although I'm tossed up about membership at this other church because I've been titheing and giving offering at my home church. Not sure what to do, any advice ???

David Dupree

Hi gracey hahaha

I would just caution you in your moving.  Please move for the right reasons.  Move because God is quickening your spirit to go.  Move because your purpose is pulling you to move. 

Oftentimes persons feel the dissatisfaction without evaluating whether they can be part of the solution or determining whether they are part of the problem. 

Churches go through phases. You have been there for 7 years now.  If you truly believe that your pastors are "spirit-led" as you have been fed these years, then continue to trust their leadership and/or leadershift.  Maybe their leadership determined that there needed to be a shift in the faith of the congregation.  Maybe the congregation was beginning to get "at ease in zion" with their giving and their faith. Maybe this set of messages just aren't for you right now.  That happens.  But they will be back on your toes soon enough.  :)

Are they really watering down the truth?  Is the spirit not there or has your spirit just departed? 

On the other hand, do not be afraid to leave.  The paradigm churches are in now is not one where people stay at churches multi-generationally anymore.  You get what you get and then you go to the next.  But again, only go if your purpose demands it. 
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

gracegirl

Hi David,
That was another thought, that maybe I'm just at this other church for a season. I guess I shouldn't say watering down the truth but  maybe cautious as in letting flesh have some control instead of solely the Holy Spirit. What does ...."the paradigm churches are in now is not one where people stay at churches multi-generationally anymore"  and "at ease in zion"  mean?

David Dupree

What does ...."the paradigm churches are in now is not one where people stay at churches multi-generationally anymore"  and "at ease in zion"  mean?

Let me give you an example of the first part of your question.  For as far back as I can trace my mother's family, we/they have been a part of the A.M.E. church.  Not A.M.E. Zion, not C.M.E., not Baptist or any other denomination....just A.M.E.  No once forced the next generations to go to A.M.E.  But that is what was learned, taught and reinforced, hence the children's children once grown and gone would find an A.M.E. church somewhere to be a part of. 

Yet in this day and age, that paradigm above has shifted and been broken somewhat.  For instance of my mother's 9 children, at one point I don't believe that any of us were bona fide members of the A.M.E. church.   

Many people aren't belonging to churches anymore out of habit.  There is a drawing and a wooing going on in the spirit and people are searching for it in whatever church it may be found, even if it breaks family traditions.

As far as the second part of your question, I paraphrased the scripture from Amos 6:1 which starts out "Woe to them which are at ease in Zion...."

One of the common traps or tricks of the enemy is to convince the saints that "they have arrived."   For example, after a church has moved into a building, paid off or down the mortgage, the pastor has a decent salary and the deacons or trustees aren't always worried whether the bills would be met, there is a tendency for the parishioners and regretfully sometimes even the leadership, to look around and be erroneously convinced that the local church doesn't need their money anymore, or at least not sacrificially so.  Or how about the lie of since the church has so many members now that they don't need me to serve on this or that auxiliary.    Or with so much energy put into the vision of the building and its inner ministries, the church forgets its outreach ministries and is comfortable.  Or because the Holy Spirit regularly visits the church with signs and wonders, all is well. 

Where there is no vision, the people perish. 
It seems that your pastors are trying to avoid this and shift the congregation into a new or higher level of faith.  Maybe this is needed for the next phase of vision they have.  I don't know.   

Most spirit filled churches go through periods where the people just plain ole need to be taught.  "Wisdom is the principal thing, therefore get wisdom, but in all thy getting get understanding." Prov. 4:7

In the spiritual "Ezekiel saw the wheel"  one of the verses says "Some go to church for the sing and shout...but before six months they's all turned out." 

I mention that only to revisit the concept that we shouldn't just go to church for the fish and the loaves, but we should be taught to be fishermen.  Maybe your church is in this phase.

Regardless, I am certain the grace of God will go with you Gracegirl. :-)

I hope I answered your questions and explained myself a little better.  :-)

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

gracegirl

Yes you did and I can relate because I was raised Baptist and that's all I knew but religious tradition and condemnation surfaced. That's when I split and didn't want to have anything to do with church but of course God led me back. Now I guess I just have a real discerning spirit when comes to church membership. The new church I've been attending, I feel is in this phase...."Where there is no vision, the people perish. 
It seems that your pastors are trying to avoid this and shift the congregation into a new or higher level of faith.  Maybe this is needed for the next phase of vision they have.  I don't know.   

Most spirit filled churches go through periods where the people just plain ole need to be taught.  "Wisdom is the principal thing, therefore get wisdom, but in all thy getting get understanding." Prov. 4:7
"

The problem I was having with my home church was just that, he wasn't teaching how to be fisherman. It was always about "blessings and prosperity", different subject with the "blessings and prosperity" tied at the end.  ::)  I just didn't want to go back to the religious ritual again.
:-\

Breathedonme

I am so happy I took the time to read this thread.

I am at a cross-roads.  Our ministry is only a few years new.  We are a "transient" church because we don't own a building.

Although I've been elevated at this church and am in leadership, I am so unhappy.  I've been unhappy for years now. 

I know our walk isn't based on our feelings, but I feel so defeated there and well . . . the list could go on.

Our Pastor walks in the office of the prophet, and I am so scared to leave for fear that something bad will happen to me.

There are things I don't agree with doctrinally.  I am the oldest person in my church (I am in my late 40s). 

I can't seem to hear from God.  At the church I attended before this one -- I was so fed.  I could feel myself growing spiritually and it was incredible.  I had to stop going due to transportation problems.

How can I leave church and feel so badly all of the time.  So disturbed.  I am wondering if I am just a complaining and whining person. 

I have to be careful how I post here because someone might pick up who I am talking about.

Please pray for me.  If I leave this church, I will have a problem finding another church -- again due to transportation problems.

I would love to find a women's fellowship that I can get involved with and find some peace.

David Dupree

Breathed!! 

I feel ya!  You have some deep God searching to do. 

First of all, though, you need not have any fear whatsoever, except the fear of the Lord which is the beginning of wisdom.

There does come times when those who are truly chosen of God especially those in leadership who go through what is called in leadership circles as "seasons of contradiction."  Through these seasons you have to stand firm on the Word of God.  The key to coming out of this season is to endure.  That is all. 

In the meantime, though, if you are in bondage, then it may be time to rise up and walk. 

But if God placed you there, He is able to keep you there until He releases you to leave. 

I believe it was Paul who was assigned to Crete where it seemed like everything was going wrong.  He left but assigned Titus there to "set things in order that are wanting."

Know your assignment!  If your assignment is to stay there, then know that God will keep you.  And give you joy!!  Command your unhappiness to go.  You need to pass this test.  How you handle the contradictions of life determine whether you can "advance" further in leadership. 

Breathedonme

David,

Thank you . . . I receive that.

I do feel very hypocritical though.  If my Pastor is a prophet, then he should know my misgivings -- to some degree, which I think he does.

I am so ready to give up on church, but not Christ.  I realize this is somewhat of a contradiction, but I know that some of the stuff going on in His houses, that He can't be pleased with it.

HOWEVER, I will continue to be still, even in the tears, which are almost every time I leave church to come home (smile).

David, many ministries claim they are deliverance ministries, but they don't have the endurance nor patience to help men and women who have been hurting for years.

There are so many of us in leadership who put on a facade before the people to be the example, but who are dying and hurting inside.  We need to be ministered to as well.

After reading ReeC's testimony -- it makes me see more clearly how many issues ARE NOT addressed in the body of Christ.  God help us!

What am I talking about?  I am sharing with you the very things I am living -- a house that claims deliverance, but . .  .

People ARE getting saved, and I thank God for it and I'll end it here.

I believe my Pastor loves the Lord and will have a bangin' ministry.  However, some people don't leave churches because there is something wrong with the Pastor(s), but because that season is up (as you've pretty much said).

Again, thank you and God bless.