• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Twists on gender

Started by bishopbiscuits, August 22, 2004, 01:15:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bishopbiscuits

In this day and age, we have some issues that are delicate.
......I have been challenged in conversation by the question," What if you were in a relationship and the other person turned out to be born a different gender than the one that they operate currently under. What would you do?"
.......I don't know. And it unsettled me to actually realize that -though remote- this is not a mathematical impossibility.
......My first reaction (besides a bit of shock) would be that all things romantic would be out of the question.
But I am not sure what my second reaction should be.
What should I say?
.....I wanted to have some prayerful insight on this. I don't want to just leave someone with pure rejection.
.....I don't even know if I'll ever come across something like this situation. But I figured, better to have wisdom just in case to temper my reaction if this did happen.
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

ethereal

I have heard that same question posed and I can't imagine anything harder than trying to explain to someone (in my case, a woman that was a man) why I have to QUICKLY dissolve the relationship. It is truly a sad commentary that we have to even HAVE commentaries like this! Last days, bishop. Last days!

Gerard Henry

Bishop..... quite a profound question.  I'm a believer that God will give
you wisdom and insight at the moment a scenario arises.  Especially unusual
one's such as what you have proposed.  A person who has undergone a sex
change (if I am understanding you correctly) is dealing with deep emotional
and identity issues.  I would suspect that these things would arise in
relating to this individual.  Because a person in that condition is
operating under serious deception it would be unwise to engage in a deeply
intimate relationship.  I would also respectfully question your discernment
from the start.  Typically when we're entangled in a questionable
relationship, it is related to some deception in our own heart.  It is often
through crisis that we are in a position for God to open our eyes.

Those are just some thoughts... I hope it helps.

Gerard Henry
Pick up a copy of my latest book "Voices of Inspiration," available wherever books are sold or visit www.gerardhenry.com

bishopbiscuits

I appreciate the responses, ethereal and Gerard

.....I brought the question up because the idea was like a stone that was skipped across my clear idea of what I expected to come across. I  expect women to have always been women.
....I have not been faced with an actual situation, but I did want to address the question. I am 30 but relatively new to dating. Your input was sobering and quite welcome.
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1