• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Being "Released"

Started by Breathedonme, November 18, 2008, 08:30:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breathedonme

Greetings!

I've been taught that when you are in a church, particularly in leadership, you are out of order if your Pastor does not release you from the ministry (or in other words, gives you the blessing and/or permission to go).  Where is this in the scripture?

What if your Pastor does not want you to leave, but you believe it is time?

What is up with the teaching that if you leave your current church, you will be cursed or miss out on your blessing?

I received an email from a sister I used to "mentor" who was upset that I left the church.  I was in leadership.  She felt that the current church I attend may not be able to "handle my anointing."  She knows nothing about my Pastors nor about the ministry.  She felt this in her spirit!!!!  That I have allowed my "anointing" to be wasted because I left before I could receive my blessing in the old ministry. 

I understand where this is coming from because of the teaching -- you never leave until your Pastor releases you.  God will show your leader when it is time; however, what if your Pastor does not want to release you because you are a hard worker?

The fact of the matter is that I am learning and growing where I am.  I am ministering because anyone who evangelizes knows that the work of the Lord isn't only inside of the wall of the church, but ministry becomes who you are.

I know my leaving was misrepresented, but that is cool - God will handle that.  Again, I just want to understand what scriptures "back up" the notion that you need Pastoral release from ministry? 

Any takers out there?

David Dupree

Hi Breathed! 

Let me apologize in advance for not answering as thoroughly as I might like...got a lot of work to do.  But I wanted to get something to you quickly. 

The main reference that many people use (in and out of context) is :
Hebrews 13:17
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Another scripture that is used widely is this one:
Ezekiel 33:6
But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

So true pastors take those scriptures to heart because they know what is the potential for not speaking as the oracle of God into a situation. 

Unfortunately, many pastors use those scriptures as methods to control the flock. 

If you really believe your pastor hears from God and hears from God on your behalf then you heed the word as much as the word is supported by/in/through the Word. 

The key is that when you go that you leave for the right reasons and in the right frame of mind.  I think I have posted this somewhere before...that you don't want to be "overwait"  nor do you want to be "underwait"  in making your calling and election sure. 

Often I have seen folks who have "left" ministries because they "heard" from God.  God said go.  But when I ask did they ask 1 when 2 where 3 how 4 why...none of those questions are ever asked.  Often the leaving is because of a zeal, but it is not according to knowledge.  (Romans 10:2)  That doesn't sound like you, but still you have to be patient and have an assurance of the Word you received. 

Psalms 46:1  "I waited patiently on the Lord..."  Have you waited?  Have you waited patiently? 

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Lamentations 3:25
The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.

In Acts 15 we see where Paul and Barnabas had a disagreement over taking/not taking John Mark with them.  The disagreement was so strong that it caused Paul and Barnabas to separate, Paul taking Silas and Barnabas taking John Mark.    Although Paul was the main "speaker," Barnabas seemed to be the leader of the two.  Did Paul get his release?  Although it didn't seem to be on the best of terms, they did agree to separate and continue the work. The disagreement did not stop the work of either of them. 

I put that in to suggest to you that only God can know your heart and the heart of your former pastor.  And if you didn't leave right, God is still able to forgive you and prosper you.  And if your former pastor was errant in releasing you, God is still able to forgive him and prosper him. 

At the end of the day, the hymn-writer said it best, "only what you do for Christ will last."  We trust leadership and realize that they can make mistakes in carrying out the Word of the Lord for a people.  But God will honor your faithfulness and entrustment to the leadership.  That is why individuals must have their own relationship with God and hear from God. 

I pray that you will not look to the left or the right, but look only to Jesus who is the author and finisher of your faith. 

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"