• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Help for a young brother trying to make his way

Started by Breathedonme, April 07, 2008, 08:27:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breathedonme

Hello Deep Waters,

I am writing on behalf of a young man who is 19 (will be 20 in September).  He's had a pretty rough time of it as his mom and family.  The point is that he is trying to get himself together.

He has a juvenile record, but hasn't been in trouble as a young adult.  However, every job he tries for he gets passed the interviewing part, but the background check shuts everything down.  His juvenile record was for misdemeanors.

He has finished high school.  He recently gave his life to Christ.  He's such a caring and loving young man. 

He has no family here in Virginia and although his mom lives in a different state about 9-10 hours from here, because of her living circumstances, it isn't wise for him to go home.

He's done a little construction, landscaping, etc.  Not very skilled YET (smile).  Where do we start?  I though after 18 years old, the juvenile records are sealed?

If anyone can point us in the right direction, that will be helpful.  There has to be jobs who will accept ex-juvenile offenders, particularly if a felony was not committed.

Thanks. 

Gracious

"Expungement of criminal records (either arrest or conviction) is of critical concern to anyone with a prior conviction, or contemplating a guilty or no contest plea to a current offense. Expungement is a term that means different things in different jurisdictions; generally, it refers to the cleansing of one's criminal record, or the sealing and destruction of arrest and/or conviction information..."

Hello Breathe,  :)

How are you?

When I'd read your post, I immediately thought of 2 individuals who have spent their entire professional & adult lives fighting "the system" in this country tirelessly!  Tirelessly pounding the pavement so-to-speak, for those that haven't the ability to help themselves. These two individuals are:

• The Honorable Judge Greg Mathis - Memberships: Reclaim Our Youth, chair, 1993-, Young Adults Asserting Themselves (YAAT), founder and chair, 1986-, National Rainbow Coalition. And has been a licensed judge since 1995.  A former gang member as a teenager, after hearing Jesse Jackson speak, he turned his life around and became a lawyer.  In 1995, he was elected to Michigan's 36th District Court. He is the youngest elected judge in Michigan's history. He Is also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
      http://www.answers.com/topic/greg-mathis?cat=entertainment

Now, I've referenced these two "men" (SUCCESSFUL men) because "they" are living examples / testimonies of what our GOD WILL do!  Neither of these two individuals was born financially or politically privileged, nor do they owe their successes to ONLY themselves ... Amen?  Both of these men will readily tell you about the village of human-spiritual intercessors that HELPED them on every round.  Above, I'd googled websites that may help this young man to be able to stand firmly on GOD's promises.

Lastly, I'm led that when Paul says in
    2 Corinthians 5:16-18:

New International Reader's Version
    16 So from now on we don't look at anyone the way the world does. At one time we looked at Christ in that way. But we don't anymore.
    17 Anyone who believes in Christ is a new creation. The old is gone! The new has come! 18 It is all from God. He brought us back to himself through Christ's death on the cross. And he has given us the task of bringing others back to him through Christ.

... GOD has exposed HIS spiritual will to ALL that receive HIM.  And HE has & will continue to make "earthly" provisions for ALL that diligently seek HIM.  Record Expungement (to ERASE and or SEAL one's criminal record)) may not have been originated by people who even know JESUS, but it's intent (to me) likens itself to "The Spiritual Process" of believing in HIM.

Breathe, this gentle man whom GOD in Heaven has assigned you to, is truly blessed!!! Hope this helps & I wish this young man "every good thing" that his heart can hold!!!

Gracious

[/list]
    "...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

Breathedonme

Gracious!

God bless you and thank you so very much for this information.  I will definitely check into it.

I pray and trust God that all is well with you and yours. 

Gracious

All is well  with us - bless the LORD :)

And you are most welcomed my sister. :-*

Would you keep us posted on how GOD is moving within his situation?

Lovin' you,

Gracious
    "...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

Breathedonme

I sure will.  I wrote to Judge Mathis' program.  The young man joined our church today.  He's been coming and received Christ a couple of month's ago. 

Thanks again, Dear Sister.