• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Faith vs. Laziness

Started by LENA, November 27, 2006, 09:39:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LENA

For the past 6 months or so my finances have been more than messed up. My rent is due by the 3rd and I don't get paid again until the 7th not to mention all the other bills I have to pay. To make a long story short I've been robbing Peter to pay Paul. This is a mess I got myself in by being irresponsible. I have tried to work a second job but it never seems to be enough. People have told me Oh just pray and have faith and God will work it out!!

One day I was just so frustrated I prayed and asked God what do you want me to do? I sat down and just opened the Bible to a random section and the scripture I read was Matt. 6:24.

But I have always been raised with the belief that God won't do something for you, that you can do for yourself. 

So my question is should I just sit back and have faith that God will just work it things out for me, or work to get myself out of a mess that I have created in the first place?

David Dupree

You do have faith in God that He will help you get out of the mess you created, but you don't "just sit back." The scripture declares that faith without works is dead. 

So you must do what you know to do.  What does God want you to do?  He wants you to be a good steward over what He has given you.  Some practical points:

1) It isn't scripture, but it is true that Rome wasn't built in a day.  Therefore don't look to be out of debt overnight.  Know that it will take time. 

2) Tithe without hesitation or reservation-- according to your faith; so be it unto you.  Prove Him now and see if He won't open the windows of heaven and pour you out blessings where your room is not enough!! 

3) Give seed faith offering(s)  in good ground --when you feel unctioned and/or when you feel your faith in action. 

4) Prepare a budget.  (and use it!!!)

5) Be honest with your creditors.  If you can't pay them all, then pay them something--spread the wealth.  Take their calls and explain the difficulty you are in...nicely. :-) 

6) Don't worry and fret over things that you have no control.  If you need to pay rent on the 3rd but don't get paid uhtil the 7th, then remember most places will give you 5 days before you are considered late.  If your complex is not like that and you are late after the 3rd, then pay your rent without the late fee.  Pay the late fee out of the next pay.  But talk to them and see if they will waive the fees because of when you get paid.  Remember, you have not because you ask not.

7)  Try to start setting aside some funds each month so that you begin to only take half of your rent from each pay period if you get paid every two weeks.  That way you don't stress yourself during the rest of the month. 

8)  Cut back on luxuries--movies, eating out, shopping, splurging, smoking, drinking. 

9)  Curb your travels..plan your excursions...run all your errands while you are out and about. 

10) Speak it! Declare yourself to be debt free everyday.  Declare the Lord's abundance to overtake your finances.  Declare that you are a good steward over the Lord's blessings.  Declare you are financially healed!!

Always remember that God is entrusting you with the provision that He has given you.  All He asks for is good stewardship and His 10 percent first.  Then He allows you to take the other 90 percent and do what you will.  What a bargain!!! 

dd

p.s. concerning multiple jobs...consider your other obligations i.e. family, children etc.  Also if the job will require you to reduce your time in worship you need to ask yourself--is it more important to praise and worship your Provider or to ignore your Provider and become your own provision?  :-) 
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"