• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Help Me to Understand

Started by sagesong, August 02, 2006, 04:06:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

live4god

Hey Sage,
   Back to your original post;I, too, haven't been on this site in a while, for various reasons.  Anyway, I understand the point you are trying to make, or at least, I think I do.  I am an educator as well.  When you see the things that we see in school systems: poverty, abuse, neglect, favoritism, etc.  It makes you more aware and that much more thankful of things that you are blessed with.  (And, no I am not saying that this only happens with educators).  When I go to my church, place of worship, I want to be in a setting where people are trying to live and do all they can do for GOD and are encouraging me to do all I can do for God; not because I will be blessed beyond measure with material things (cars, houses, money), but with spiritual blessings (patience, long-suffering, kind-heartedness, etc.) that will catapult me into heaven where the REAL reward is.  I know many people aren't willing to agree with you, but let it be known that I do. 
I do attend a "black" congregation; however, it is nothing like the ones that you have described. I know of those kind, but mine is not one.  We have elders that are the "overseers" of the flock.  Although we respect our minister and his wife for what they do, they are given no more "special attention" than others in the church.  There is no special "pastor love offering" collected, special seating, or "first lady" titles. 
It may just be me, but when I go to church I look for opportunities to help others in need and to find a way for spiritual growth.  All the other "acts" or so-called "tradition" seem to be just for show to me. 
1-Love
Live4God

Gracious

Ahhh ... live4god

Perhaps my last post may not have been what YOU cared to discuss, but it was and is relevent to topic, as the issue was previously mentioned, and we all have struggled in the "retention" area from time to time!!! :)

Gracious
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

Breathedonme

Sage,

Not getting off of the point, soley, but I still want to encourage you to continue to  allow God to be God in your life until the "retention" comes!

I often hear preaches quoting scriptures and when you search where they say it is in the Bible - it isn't.

This isn't a criticism, it just shows that we make mistakes, but the point is the anointing!

Again, I am a living witness to this.  There are some who can recite scripture left and right, top to bottom.  Then there are some awesome men and women of God who are not as well-versed, but the Holy Spirit brings the Word out of them as it is needed. 

GO FOR IT, Beloved!  Go for it!  LOL

As for churches, I've seen both sides of it, Black and White, and it is discouraging.  What keeps me is that I am keeping my focus on the Lord.  I realize that some of this "fluff" is a distraction from what is real and true.  That is that Jesus Christ is coming again and there are many souls lost and going to hell.  We have a job to spread the gospel and show Christ in our lives. 

For those who are going on the far side with the prosperity message and a lot of the other stuff -- so be it.  I continue to pray for them. 

As a leader in my ministry, when I fall short, I want people to pray for me!  I will not give less to others.

So, I am feelin' ya sister . . .

live4god

Gracious,
   I never stated that your post was something that I did not care to hear.  I stated that I haven't been on this site in a while; therefore, I was new to the original topic.  I am completely aware of the importance of being able to fight off satan by knowing God's word.  We do not always have a Bible on hand to fight off satan's attempts, which is why it's extremely beneficial for us to "try" to remember the scriptures to the best of our ability.  On the contrary to what you may think, i feel like you were helpful in sharing the way you are able to remember scripture.  However, I feel learning scripture is something that people tend to develop their own strategies with.  I for one, look at the scriptures that i feel apply directly to my life at the time and build on that.  Everything will come with time, study, understanding, and prayer.   What do you think?
1-Love
Live4God

Gracious

live4god,

I am grateful that you are sensative to this, and I completely agree with you.

Gracious
:)
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

sagesong

Well, I must report that my husband and I have found a church home.  Well to be honest my husband has a church home.  I haven't joined just yet.  I was (am) a little annoyed that he had the nerve to join a church on a Sunday when I was not with him. 

He joined because we had been going for awhile, but stopped because it conflicted with his job schedule. Well, after two months or so went by the Pastor called our house to see if everything was alright, because he noticed that we weren't in church. 

Anyhoo, I have a church I am attending regularly.  The Pastor really seems to have a heart for God's people.  Oh, I have to give you the update on the situation with my husband in another post. 

As for retaining scripture, I'm sure it will come in time as I continue to read and "meditate" (Thank you FA) on the word of God.  Even though, I am not called to teach I agree with live4God -- "We do not always have a Bible on hand to fight off satan's attempts, which is why it's extremely beneficial for us to "try" to remember the scriptures to the best of our ability."

I think one of the reasons I can't retain scripture right now is because  I have always been studious.  When I am passionate about a thing, I can tear the issue apart bit by bit; examine each bit. I would examine the arguments for and against the position I promoted.  I have been an astute debator.  This skill served me well in my former profession -- public relations.  I could easily remember talking points and quote facts and figures including their reference to support my position. 

Because this skill has not been translated to the things of God, when I do recall scripture when I need it I can trust it is God and not my intellect.

And of course, as I grow in God I am as Gracious says "trusting God to hide not only the scriptures, but books & verses ... in my heart."
Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.