• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Help Me to Understand

Started by sagesong, August 02, 2006, 04:06:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sagesong

I thought I'd post this under a new topic.   I have been church hunting for some time now.  I have mostly visisted black church.  But occassionally when I can't tell the difference will visit "others".  I don't have a problem with others.  Still, I am black, so I guess I go with what I know.

I have noticed, mostly in the black church two things I haven't found consistently in "others".   The Pastor and First Lady pedestal mentality. And the focus on the financial rewards of a relationship with Jesus.

I have been to one several times and while I know that the pastor is married, I wouldn't be able to pick his wife out from amongst the crowd.  He refers to his wife and calls her by name, but she doesn't have a special seat.  She isn't called First Lady -- which is a title almost exclusive to black churches. 

Their is no section on the tithing envelop for Pastor love offering -- again found mostly in black churches. I am yet to hear one message about prosperity or what God's got for me.  Not one message proclaiming God's promise of new homes, big cars, whatever. 

Then I go to a black church and hear over, and over again -- God's going to bless you with this, and God's going to give you that.  People are jumping around, running, screaming, falling out.  I'm thinking I need more love, more understanding, more wisdom, more peace.  I need to be able to keep the kids in my class from going to bed hungry at night, from coming to school dirty because their momma wasn't home last night, from knowing too much too young, from experiencing too much too young. 

The message quite honestly that I'm getting from black churches don't sustain me when a child looks at me and says "My grandfather died last night.  He was shot five times."  And she says it with as much emotion and urgency as if she were telling me that she went to Pizza Hut for dinner and had a personal pan.  Or when, I hear that one of my babies has said she doesn't want to eat anymore, because she doesn't want to live anymore.  You see her father has been having sex with her.

I'm not bashing any particular pastor, or even black ministers in general.   I am asking if we -- as a people -- have lost our focus.  It seems like when we had less, Jesus was enough.  Now, we have more than we have every had before.  Now we love Jesus (it seems) because he can get us even more. 

A few times, for some reason or another, people have thought my husband was a minister.  At black churches, they attempt to give him special seating.  Once an usher walked us all the way up front, before it dawned on him to ask if he was a minister. When, we said no, he turned us around and walked us to the back.  It was hilarious. 

Help me to understand, because clearly I don't. 

Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.

Gracious

My Dearest Sagacious Susta',

The HOLY SPIRIT governs the saints of GOD ... "we" who are "chosen" to deliver TRUTH, must do so in accordance to the "heart" / hearing of the individual in need ... Amen?

Plainly, the HOLY SPIRIT regarding you, has spoken that to coddle you by insulting your strength (regarding your knowledge/intelligence) ... debating with you about "the black church" is futile and gravely unnecessary!!! More to the issue, would/should be ... that of perceptions!!!

Before you read on ... I strongly suggest that you go to GOD ... QUICKLY ... in prayer ... sooooo that your HEART will hear CLEARLY ... what HE has for you ... that WILL conquer & transfer your intollerance ... to / towards "your" MINISTRY!!!

The problem lies in "your own eyes" ... HOW you SEE ... WHAT you SEE ... WHERE you SEE  ... WHEN YOU see that which YOU do NOT SEE!!!!

HOW "you" SEE:

"..I have noticed, mostly in the black church two things I haven't found consistently in "others". The Pastor and First Lady pedestal mentality. And the focus on the financial rewards of a relationship with Jesus..."

WHAT "you"  SEE:

"...Their is no section on the tithing envelop for Pastor love offering -- again found mostly in black churches. I am yet to hear one message about prosperity or what God's got for me. Not one message proclaiming God's promise of new homes, big cars, whatever..."

WHERE "you"  SEE:

"...Then I go to a black church and hear over, and over again -- God's going to bless you with this, and God's going to give you that. People are jumping around, running, screaming, falling out. I'm thinking I need more love, more understanding, more wisdom, more peace. I need to be able to keep the kids in my class from going to bed hungry at night, from coming to school dirty because their momma wasn't home last night, from knowing too much too young, from experiencing too much too young..."

WHEN ... "YOU" ... see that which "YOU" ... do NOT SEE!!!!:

"...The message quite honestly that I'm getting from black churches don't sustain me when a child looks at me and says "My grandfather died last night. He was shot five times." And she says it with as much emotion and urgency as if she were telling me that she went to Pizza Hut for dinner and had a personal pan. Or when, I hear that one of my babies has said she doesn't want to eat anymore, because she doesn't want to live anymore. You see her father has been having intercourse with her.

I'm not bashing any particular pastor, or even black ministers in general. I am asking if we -- as a people -- have lost our focus. It seems like when we had less, Jesus was enough. Now, we have more than we have every had before. Now we love Jesus (it seems) because he can get us even more.

A few times, for some reason or another, people have thought my husband was a minister. At black churches, they attempt to give him special seating. Once an usher walked us all the way up front, before it dawned on him to ask if he was a minister. When, we said no, he turned us around and walked us to the back. It was hilarious.

Help me to understand, because clearly I don't..."

My Susta',

Where is YOUR ministry???

(rhetorically speaking ... 'cause this is a spiritual question - between you and the FATHER ... as we who have been on this site for any amount of time do KNOW the answer ... Amen?)

Judgements are very dangerous amongst "THE BODY" of "believers", because - when we preoccupy  our hearts with such things ... we ineviteably "miss" OUR seasons (learned lessons, designed to promote and encourage those who are asleep / those who unknowingly would benefit from that "valley experience" ... the HOLY SPIRIT, through HIS wisdom has delivered us through).

I've read you (I hear you, Sweetie) and am not negating nor am I ignoring your confusion ... I am simply led to share/reveal  the "root"!!! The underlying issue, that threads/fuels your inollerance.

Gracious[/color]
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

sagesong

You know I'm amused by the fact that when we are shown something that is not right within the body we are accused of being judgemental.  First the Bible calls for us to be fruit inspectors, does it not? 

This may be my ministry.  I don't know.  I do know it is where I am attacked most harshly.   I am new (three years) at being used of God to intercede.  I will wake up in the middle of the night being led to pray for people and things that I do not know about. Sometimes God will show me later the who and what, sometimes not.  I have spoken about things that were not in line with God's word and have been called everything including Satan incarnate.  I will tell you this on the three occassions that I have warned as God has led me.  Exactly what God warned would happen has happened. 

I'm not being judgemental.  I am speaking out of love.  I don't want my people caught up in the things of this world and miss the things of God.  My heart is not preoccupied, I pray for what I see.  Most often I don't talk to others about it for this very reason. 

I just thought this was a site where I could be open about what God is saying and warning.  Take what you can use and leave the rest alone. 

Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.

HisPrincess

Hi Sagesong,

You said in your post that the message you are getting from black churches don't sustain you.  What do you think it is that you need to sustain you?  Have you found that in "other" churches?  If so, I say go where the Lord leads you, race, culture, etc. to me doesn't matter.  I understand what you mean and have the same concern for our people because a lot of times at the end of the jumping, screaming and shouting, we go home to same bills, situations and problems without any resolution.

I know that when I was looking for a church home I asked God specifically for what I wanted out of a church and he provided that for me specifically.  I visited all kinds of churches and happened to love them all but what solidified my choice was the fact that I was in agreement with the mission, vision and purpose of my church.

You see we hold our pastor and his wife in highest regard not because of their standing in the church but because they stepped out on faith along with a few others with a vision the Lord had given him.  What started out as 7 adults and 4 children is now a 4000+ member congregation and still growing.  My church is predominately Black but I wouldn't even consider it a "black" church.  My pastor addresses his wife by name but most of us call her first lady I believe mostly out of respect and the tradition of black churches.  But there is no special seat, they sit among the congregration as does any visiting ministers to our church.

He preaches about prosperity and the importance of money and it's biblical basis but he warns very sternly that prosperity does not mean that money will fall from heaven and you won't go to your mailbox tomorrow and an unexpected check will be there.  He speaks of what God can do when you trust him with your finances meaning that prosperity can be healing in your body, peace in your home, favor on your job, obedient children, etc.

We should be jumping, shouting, falling out and praising God just because He is God because we may or may not have those material things in life but that doesn't change who God is.

I would say seek the Lord for exactly what it is you want, need and desire from your worship experience and the church that you call home.  I am sure that He will grant you the desires of your heart.  And he will equip you to handle those tough situations that you come across in your day to day living.  Those things you have to deal with when all the shouting, running and screaming is done.  If you need more love, understanding, wisdom and peace.  Ask it of God, because you know He FREELY gives to all that ask of Him.

Be blessed sista
Ah, Sovereign Lord, You have created the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm, NOTHING is too hard for you.

Jeremiah 32:17

Breathedonme

Sage, I am hearing you.

His Princess, I am "feelin'" you.  You've answered much even for me in addition!

God bless!

Forum Administrator

Hi sagesong. First of all, when I read the last part of your post (about the attempt to give and then withdraw special seating), I almost fell out of my chair laughing. That is hilarious!  ;D

One thing that stands out to me as I read your post is that you strike me as one who is gifted to teach. You seem to have both a hunger and passion for truth, and what you perceive as not being genuine irritates you and pushes you away. These are some characteristics of the gift of teaching. At times these characteristics are judged as being critical or judgmental, (and if we're not careful, at times they can be), but the underlying motivation is for truth and authenticity. What irritates you is often an indication of where your ministry is.

Preferential seating has been going on since the early days of Church history. James spoke about it in James chapter 2 (see verses 1-13). He calls it "respect of persons" and he calls it sin. The remedy is to "love your neighbor as you love yourself." Unfortunately, most of us haven't gotten that message yet.

Another side of the coin though is given to us in 1 Thessalonians 5:12, 13 where we are instructed to both know and very highly esteem in love those who are over us in the Lord (our leaders) and appreciate the work that they do do.  :) As far as the "First Lady" title, take it for what it is: a reference to a position of honor as the wife of the pastor, or as a wife in general, First Lady.  ;) When visiting a church, one of the things I look for is how the pastor refers to and treats his wife. I've learned (from my limited experience) that how a pastor honors or doesn't honor his wife is often an indication of his integrity as a pastor and a leader. As the wife of a pastor, she also holds a position of high honor because as God has called her husband to pastor, she also is called to stand alongside him in the ministry and to bear the burden with him in a way that no one else can. Sometimes it is in the pastor's wife that a pastor finds his strongest support and that is sometimes why a pastor may want his wife to be as close to him as possible. It is very wise to keep those who you know are in your corner and who you know will help pray you through and encourage you and help to set a tone of worship as close to you as possible.

I believe that we are in the last leg of the race, so to speak, as it pertains to the end time harvest of souls. I am convinced and know in my spirit that there are certain things that have to be put in place in order to effectively propagate the Gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth. One of those things is a shift in wealth --particularly financial wealth -- into the hands of believers (those who know what to do with it). In order for this to happen, more will have to be taught and practiced about the principles of sowing and reaping which is the method that God has put into place to get financial wealth to us. The purpose of wealth is to "favor His righteous cause" and God takes pleasure in prospering those who do (Psalm 35:27).

As with every biblical principle, abuse will happen. If we have lost focus, we have lost it individually not corporately because the scripture says let each one give as he has purposed in his heart. The responsibility to give or not give, as the case may be, lies with the individual (and it doesn't matter what is printed on the envelope in that regard).

If you go to a church and find yourself continually annoyed, you either have to change the people (i.e. via example/influence), or change the people (i.e. get out of there).  ;)

P.S. I appreciate your honesty and transparency so keep your posts and comments coming. If it were not for people like you who are willing to step out there and "lay yourself bare," this forum would not work. So, thank you.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

Gracious

Dear Sage,

You wrote:
"..A few times, for some reason or another, people have thought my husband was a minister. At black churches, they attempt to give him special seating. Once an usher walked us all the way up front, before it dawned on him to ask if he was a minister. When, we said no, he turned us around and walked us to the back. It was hilarious..."

Here's a perception for ya'...

Please forgive me my sista' (and Madame FA ;) ), for I saw nothing humerous / hilarious about that experience for you ... I did see an opportunity ... Perhaps, the HOLY SPIRIT has been at work here?  Perhaps this "usher" and others saw something in you that you may "not" have? And by opening your mouth to innocently clarify who you were not, after the usher(s) proceded to move you FORWARD ... they (those ushering you) ... moved you BACK ... to a place of " more - expected - comfort"?

You also wrote:
You know I'm amused by the fact that when we are shown something that is not right within the body we are accused of being judgemental. First the Bible calls for us to be fruit inspectors, does it not?

When we "see" something that we perceive within the "body" that is not right or righteous ... point it out to others... and offer no explanation and/or solution ... where is the ministry in it???

Please don't level the above statement to mean (regarding my posts to you) that we cannot voice opinions be they strong or subtle, after all,  isn't that a part  of why we post... because "that" was not said nor intimated (on my part) by my postings ...  Amen?

Lastly:
"...Help me to understand, because clearly I don't."

Dear friend ... I believed you then & now, and hopefully & prayerfully you will re-think what you'd initially viewed as an attack ... and "see" that "we" too .. say as we will out of love & concern, as well ... enough to risk - a tempered -  "rubbing you the wrong way" ... so-to-speak.

Gracious
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

sagesong

First, let me say, I don't feel like I'm being attacked by the people who have replied here.  I love this site.  I have being reading and posting here for a while.  I first posted as IEVE.  After a long hiatus, I couldn't remember my password and could figure out how to get it emailed to me.

I have however been attacked (verbally  only) praise God by others.  At my old church, the Pastor was weak in the area of women. He liked "as they say in the streets "the strange".  He had many women -- he was not intimate with all -- believing they were to be his wife. Believing it in part because he would say "I see you as my wife". 

This young girl came to me and told me her story. Only she didn't tell me it was the Pastor. Her faith was torn, shred bear, she was filled with guilt and shame.  Through a series of events including dreams and the testimony of others in the same situation, I discovered it was the Pastor. I was so hurt for these women that I lost two days of work -- in bed in tears.  (I know they bear some responsibility, believe me I have heard that argument ad nauseum)

I consulted a minister in our church.  She consulted another minister and so on, and so on.  They were consulting each other about my having said something about it.  They already knew and had know for sometime that it was an issue.  They literally attacked my character, my faith, my integrity.  Ministers and deacons in the church stopped speaking to me.  It was a hot mess. 

HisPrincess (I like that( ;)),

Right now I am deferring to my husband to select the church home.  I having been praying for God to give him guidance, but a more specific prayer sure wouldn't hurt.  I'm travel weary and need a place to rest.  Maybe there is a reason God is taking us on such a long journey to finding a new home.  I don't know. 

Also, I don't have a problem with honoring a pastor and his wife. I think all wives should be honor, believe me it ain't easy -- even less so if you have to "share" your husband with the masses.  My problem is the flagrant disparity.  I was visiting this church.  It was hot and humid.  The one fan they had was pointed at the Pastor the entire service.  I thought ok, I can understand why the Pastor would need to have a fan pointed on him.  But, they couldn't spring for a second fan that the rest of us could share.  :P

Another time, our Pastor was out of commission for some time.  A minister in our church stepped forward and began performing a lot of his functions for service.  We didn't have an identified associate Pastor.  When the Pastor was able to resume his responsibilities, I suggested the ministries recognize the minister who had rearranged his personal calendar to make himself available with a small (token) gift of thanks.  I was told that this minister had only done his job and nothing more.  We routinely gave our Pastor gifts of appreciation and thanks and he drew a salary.  This minister did not.  ???

Gracious,

Just to clarify, we didn't tell him my husband wasn't a minister until he had asked.  We didn't know where he was leading us.  Only he didn't ask until we were almost at the front of the church.  I'm comfortable in God's house in any pew or row.

FA,

I'm in agreement that wealth is necessary to advance the kingdom of God.  I have visited churches in very poor neighborhoods where the Pastor is visibly affluent, speaks of his affluence, ask for sacrificial giving, and the congregation is visibly dirt poor.  Let me also clarify -- when I say we visit, me have stayed a some churches for several weeks. Usually go to more than just the Sunday service. 

I know this.  My natural father -- scoundrel in many ways (may the Lord rest his soul) Loved dearly.  I know he would have never drove around in a big expensive car, live in a luxurious house, wore fancy jewelry, etc.  if I couldn't pay my rent, keep my lights on, and feed my children.  How is a Shepard to care for his flock?  The Bible says, If you see a man in need, have the means to help him and don't, how can you say you have the love of God in you?

Lastly,

I am a teacher of second grade students.  I couldn't teach the word, because I can never remember where scripture is located.  I can remember the scripture, but can never quote chapter and verse.  People would look at me like I was crazy when I said "You know the Bible says, I can't tell you where it says it, but it's in there. " ;D

tippieangel

Hi Sage it's tippie :)
I can feel you on what it feels like to you and how you see things. Let me assure you you are not the only one that "wonders" about some of the practices of the church. I go to the same church every Sunday and I get a word but it has to be filtered sometimes. :P got to get pass some of the "extra" stuff that occures in alot of churches. some one said(FA) eat the fish and learn to spit out the bones.  ;)I guess that what i suggest for you and for me. God talks to us each in his on way no one is always right,BUT GOD!! Trust God to lead you to the ministry that he has for you. That's what i'm REALLY working on.I can't tell you where its at in the bible either ,but i can flip them pages till I find it LOL ;D
I really connect with you I'm glad you posted and stand girl STAND :)
tippieangel

David Dupree

Hi all,

Sorry to jump in late like this.  But SS I still want to go back to your original posting. (by the way, I wondered where IEve had been...glad to know she is back)

Yes there is often a great disparity in the "worship" experiences of predominately black churches and predominately white churches.  A lot of that goes back even to slavery.
Some facts:
   -we couldn't worship together 'cept when we were allowed in the balcony.
   -they had instruments; we made instruments...usually a wood log and hand claps.
   -they could read; we had limited readers...sometimes not even the pastor
   -we were the have nots; they were the haves
   -they prayed for faithful slaves; we prayed for slavery to end

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that through the differences focuses became different.  To bring it closer to date, while many black churches focus on feeding the neighborhood and clothing their own, white churches focus on missions overseas and around the world. (I know that is a great generalization as are the others..nonetheless bearing a lot of truth)

As you may also note, there is becoming an increasingly small gap between certain things that black churches do as opposed to white churches...e.g. more white churches crying out in praise and more black churches crying out in worship; more white churches having "black" music and more black churches having "white" music; white churches holy dancing and black churches learning order.  Thank God for the Marthas and Israels who are bridging the gap between it all and bringing us closer together. 

With that little background let's just note that still in many aspects there is a great disparity between worship experiences on Sunday mornings.  Don't get mad at the black churches for lifting the prosperity message...it was birthed in white churches.  Just because in black churches having a car to get to work is more important than stocks, bonds and real estate holdings, don't get upset..the pastors know their people. Many of our churches are doing well at getting our folks out of the projects.  Many of white churches (except in poor, poor areas) have never dealt with members from the  projects.

Don't get mad at black churches for "exalting" its leaders.  Sure God is no respecter of person..but He does respect position.  Although Moses smote the rock instead of speaking to it, water still flowed.  It was position. Joshua had the sun stand still, it was position.  Elijah had no rain..it was position.  While I understand the whole concept that many churches want to "humanize" the pastor and other churches want to "deify" the pastor a lot of it is due to the frame of reference from whence the institution comes. 

Put it this way..if you meet the president, would you call him George?  Why would you call your pastor, Bob instead of at least Pastor Bob? "According to your faith, be it unto you."   But I don't understand why we would exalt our man-made leaders more than our God-made leaders. 

I thank God for the variety in Christiandom.  There is a myriad of ways of doing the same thing that gets the same result.  For example, you can walk up the steps forward, sideways, backwards and even on your hands if you want to and all those methods will get you to the top of the steps.  Sure some methods are just plain 'ole implausible such as rolling up the steps. And we do have to beware of stuff that is just OFF!

I am glad that you are searching for a church to meet your needs.  But don't forget that it is just as important, if not more important, to find a church in which you can meet its needs.  That is a big issue with this generation which is why there is no loyalty to churches these days.  People are so concerned with what they can get out of it as opposed to what they can put into it.  The Gospel message is based upon John 3:16...for God so loved the world that He gave...   Until we remember that it is true..it is better to give than receive, we will be stuck doing what the world has trained us to do...fulfill your needs first.  How many of us would have messed up by not making Elijah a cake first?  Society says take care of #1.  But God says give and it shall be given unto you, pressed down, shaken together and running over. 

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

sagesong

I think you may be missing my main area of concern.  Yes, there are many differences between the black and the white church.  I was not talking about history.  Still, that is not my may concern. 

My main concern is how people beyond the pulpit are treated and received -- the disparity between have and have nots, between Pastor and congregant.  I have been to the White House. Not under this president.  Still, I was treated likely royalty, because I was a guest.  I am an elemtary school teacher, nothing special.  Yet, the president did not have things that his guest did not have.  We knew he was the president, but he knew we were his honored guest.  He treated us such.

I am not mad.  I am concerned about what message and image it is sending, especially to the unsaved, searching, and brand new.  My mother is from the South, and I always say -- I can believe I am treated with less hospitality in the church than I would find in a Southern secular organization. 

With all this annointed Word going forth, were is the love brother, to brother and sister, to sister.  I know we all love our Pastors and First Ladies, but how do we feel about it other. 

And as a point of contradiction, I have not been to many churches that do outreach. Feeding the poor, clothing the hunger, no.  Maybe at Christmas and Thanksgiving.  One of my old Pastor use to say membership has its privileges.  If you didn't belong to the church you were short dog.

But, God so loved the world . . .
He wants that none, should lack, not just the Pastor and his wife.  We are to bring the tithes and offerings into the storehouse in times of feast so that in times of famine need can be meet. 

Still I say, if all the revenue that is generated by churches were really put to tackling some of the issues our communities face . . .

Forum Administrator

Quote from: sagesong on August 03, 2006, 05:59:52 am
I am a teacher of second grade students.  I couldn't teach the word, because I can never remember where scripture is located.  I can remember the scripture, but can never quote chapter and verse.  People would look at me like I was crazy when I said "You know the Bible says, I can't tell you where it says it, but it's in there. " ;D

LOL! Why not? I do it all the time. I say it's like Ragu: it's in there. As tippie mentioned, I might not be able to quote chapter and verse all the time, but if I know it's there, it's just a matter of time before I find it. Thank God for www.biblegateway.com keyword search. ;) That's one of the ways I am able to draw scriptural references (using chapter and verse). Most of the times, it's not even necessary to quote chapter and verse. We can simply integrate scripture into our everyday conversation in a way that's practical. I employ scriptural references a lot in the forum because I see my role here as a pointer and so I want to redirect people's focus off me and to the Word. In this way, people are not kept dependent but learn as the Bereans in scripture did to search the scriptures for themselves to "see if these things be so." (See, I didn't even include a chapter and verse on that one, but it's in there!  :D) At the same time, I know it's my duty to study to show myself approved unto God (and God alone). I believe also that most reasonable and mature people will appreciate the honesty and integrity of a teacher who says, "I'll look up that reference and get back to you." (and does). Even if you're not gifted to teach (and I still believe you are  ;)), we are all called to prophesy to one another. I'm not referring to the office of a prophet; I'm refer to our instructions to edify, comfort, and encourage one another (i.e. prophesy). This, as does the gift of teaching, still requires that we study, study, study and rightly divide, rightly divide, rightly divide the word of truth. You are obviously called to influence. I encourage you to make the most of that. You have that ability for a reason.  ;D
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

HisPrincess

Quote from: sagesong on August 03, 2006, 05:59:52 am

I was visiting this church.  It was hot and humid.  The one fan they had was pointed at the Pastor the entire service.  I thought ok, I can understand why the Pastor would need to have a fan pointed on him.  But, they couldn't spring for a second fan that the rest of us could share.  :P

LOL Sagesong,

If nothing else, you have the best adventures in search of a church home.  ;D
Ah, Sovereign Lord, You have created the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm, NOTHING is too hard for you.

Jeremiah 32:17

Breathedonme

My Sister Sage,

I only want to make a comment about your not being able to retain scripture.

I just want to encourage you seek God about the calling on your life and not your reasoning.

I am not one who can tell you exactly where scripture is most of the time, but as I've read, I DO know that it is in the Bible.

I am a minister in the house of the Lord and wasn't going to go forth largely for this very reason. 

I am not sure what it is, but my memory doesn't serve me well in many areas; however, I can assure you, that with what you study and the anointing -- WOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEE!!

I just surrendered with an unequivocal "YES" to the Lord and am amazed at what He is doing.  More than ever, I am humbled and blown away with how people are being saved and set free.  Thank you Jesus.

I am being challenged now to start a Bible fellowship at work.  I've been "disobedient" to this call for several years, but a "word" went forth.  I love teaching children, but adults -- now that is a challenge.

Isn't it amazing?  I will preach, when called to do so.  I train our deacons and am over our ministerial staff, yet, truth be told, I was afraid to teach adults.  However, I see the hand of God and it is wonderful.  God has me in a place where regardless to any compliments and elevation, I have to give Him ALL of the honor, glory and praise.  If I am successful in teaching to adults, it is SOLELY because of Him.

So, I stopped sweating it and I even confess that I can't say EXACTLY where some scriptures are.  I don't allow it to be my excuse not to continue to try to retain scripture (I am not saying you don't).  However, I continue to be in the Word because as you know, as believers we can't survive this walk without prayer and the Word.

Oh yeah -- when I was in the world and I'd go to the studios my hardest time was remembering the words to the song (LOL).  When I try to sing something on the radio or on tv, my children are so wonderful to let me know that I am "messing up" the words.  LOL

Nonetheless, I wanted to encourage you to move on.  There are so many in the Word who were not equipped to do the work so THEY thought (Moses is a great example and even Paul), but they went forth and did the work.

GO FORTH SISTAH as the Lord leads ya!

With love,

Breathed.

Gracious

Retaining scripture ... Hmmmm ...

Should we desire to hide GOD's WORD in our hearts (for the sake of this conversation  ;) ... memorizing scripture so as to not only recall it ... but sight book & verse), what has helped me in this area is to approach the bible not only as an over 1000 page, well - written ANOITED-HOLY GHOST inspired, GREATEST STORY EVER-TOLD scripts, but to look at each book as a cohesive story, that explains life and it's struggles regarding that which is GOOD - that which is evil - and our Eternal Promise.

Please bare with me you two, 'cause I'm not trying to do bible study here, it's just that Breath you've inspired a testimony out of me (AGAIN!!! ...LOL)....

OTAY...Here we go:
Perhaps JESUS should be our best model for this, especially since he is/was the WORD made flesh ... Amen?

You see for the most part, JESUS spoke in parables (stories with life-lessons attached to them). HE did this because HE was/ is the purified (perfect) form of man. Because of this (HIS sinlessness) HE understood how to get & keep our attention. Hence, one of HIS strongest ministries was that of a Rabbi-Teacher.

Now, should we desire to read about the life of our Savior - JESUS THE CHRIST, we know to look to the N/T of our SWORD of the SPIRIT.

(The commonly used phrase SWORD of the SPIRIT, refers exclusively to the "Holy Bible", and is 1st mentioned in the book of Ephesians 6:17...

Ephesians 6:17

"...And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God..."

When we approach the book of Matthew (specifically the 6th chapter) we find an plethora of teachings regarding Jesus and his disciples.

My point you ask???

It's very simple. The way I am able to remember scripture (book & verse) is to ask GOD to reveal HIS "retentive" wisdom to me. GOD granted my request by connecting/linking parables so that it becomes easier for me to connect the dots ... so to speak.

Examples:
*** JESUS: Prayer (as in the how of our praying) ...  "The Perfect Prayer" verses 9-13

*** JESUS: The Perfect Prayer = Matthew 6:9

*** JESUS: "...No man can serve two masters..." = Matthew 6:24

*** JESUS: "...But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you... = Matthew 6:33

*** JESUS: Whom do men say that I am..."   = Matthew 16:13

At first, this may seem hopeless for you ... BUT ... I promise you, that if you remain faithful towards HIM, maintaning a CLEAR understanding of each book - as in the main charachters, events & location ...GOD will do the rest - hiding not only the scriptures, but books & verses ... in your heart!!!

My testimony:
The most surprising thing about all of this was...

I didn't even realize that GOD had done this "NEW" thing in me (regarding scripture retention) ... until the ANOINTING fell on me during a Midnight Musical Service .. the HOLY GHOST said SPEAK (not sing or direct or play ... GOD said SPEAK) ... I opened my mouth ... GOD's WORD came out ... my abdomin filled with HIS HOLY FIRE ... BURNING / PRESSING each HOLY WORD out of me, as I started reciting Psalms 91 KJV (verbatim) ... and then sang (lead) & directed my choir ... for the song "SAFETY"!!!

(Sure ... I've felt GOD's anointing bunches of times ... BUT NOT LIKE THAT!!!)

HUUUUNAY, it was an out of body experience ... I literally left the consciousness of this earthly realm and ascended with the angels, as GOD used my body!!!

(Sooooooo, glad he gave it back ... Amen? ... LOL) :o :-X

After that, the over-flow has not ceased ... all that I've absorbed in my spirit came together ... so that I now "think" HIS WORD ... in context.!!!

I dare ya' to ask HIM ... an' won't HE do it for you!!! :-*

Luvin' you both,

Gracious
[/color]