• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

where to draw the line

Started by newbeginnings, July 09, 2006, 01:29:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

newbeginnings

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site.  I thought maybe I could be directed to some scriptures that could help my situation.

What is it that allows a christian to continue to sin the same sins over again and again.  1 John 3:6 says, No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

Is it possible to fall away from from God after giving your life to him and recieving his grace and mercy? I can't see how, yet I'm a new believer of 2 years and I've not once wanted to go back to being without God.  The person I speak of is my boyfriend of 4 years.  We were together 2 years before we both were saved. Him first then God used him to lead me.  He followed and obeyed God for the first 6 mo. then seemed to of fallen away and not gotton back.  He praises and worships but doesn't think that disobeidience and sin is going to hold him back from Gods blessings.  He has a long line of verbal abuse and suffers from alcoholism So It seems God intervined in our lives as our last chance as a couple. But he won't take any actions to help or be helped. His continuous disobedience and negative attitude is making our relationship seem impossible and uncomfortable. When he's under the influence I feel like I don' t know him and I have to walk on egg shells.  But then he goes back to church the next day for forgiveness untill he slips again a week to 2 later. I'm trying to stay focused on God and what he wants for our lives but I'm finding it hard to draw the line of when enough is enough for us.  I know God will never give up on him but sometimes I feel like maybe he needs to loose me to bring him back to God. Then other times I feel like God wants to use me to bring him back to God.  I pray and ask God for direction but I feel like I get both of those answers. What does this mean?

Gracious

GOD bless you newbeginnings ,

I'd come across some information regarding your request for scripture, hopefully this will help you, and please know that "you & your freind are in my prayers:

(... read & be blessed!!!)
[/color]

Proverbs 20
1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
       whoever is led astray by them is not wise.
[/color]

Proverbs 20:1 warns us what wine and strong drink can do to a man.  Men can end up raging and brawling and doing things in a drunken stupor that are very unwise and that they will also regret. How many times have we heard the expression when someone talks unwisely after drinking too much -- "That was the alcohol talking." The Bible does make a distinction, as to the affect that strong drinks (alcoholic beverages like whiskey, vodka, etc.) have on a person, as opposed to wine, showing that the strong alcoholic drinks are far worse at causing men to become out of their heads and violent. The wine is bad enough, as it can cause men to loose their senses and mock others. People will also mock them for their out of control inebriation.

So what should our position be as Christians since we know the many sorrows that drunkenness causes?  We know that alcoholism is responsible for many broken homes because of the abusive behavior toward family and others. We know the many deaths on our highways caused by drinking and driving. What about the many premature deaths caused by health problems stemming from alcoholism? Alcoholism has now become a costly drug addiction problem. Yes, drunkenness is a very evil sin that hurts the whole nation. The Bible says all drunkards who do not repent will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10:
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
[/color]

Although, a Christian may be free to drink moderately as long as they do not become drunk, is that the highest thing we should do?  Paul stated in the New Testament that he would not allow his liberty to be a license to sin, nor would he do anything that would cause a brother to stumble.

Galatians 5:13
"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another."

1 Corinthians 8:9:
"But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak."
[/color]

In the Old Testament there was a group of people known as Nazarites that took a vow to separate themselves unto the Lord and therefore they would not drink any wine or alcoholic beverages.

Numbers 6:2-3
"And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD: He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried."
[/color]

We must all give an account of ourselves before our Lord.  What would please Him?  Would it not be pleasing to Him if we loved others enough to give up those things we could have, for a greater cause?  Would it not be a more powerful witness to others in our age to stand out as one who did not drink alcoholic beverages because we had no need to do so. When we are filled with the Spirit of God, His spirit gives us the joy and release that many are seeking by drinking.  May we instead desire to be filled with the Holy Spirit and have no need for "spirits."

Ephesians 5:18-20
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
[/color]

"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

tippieangel

Hi I'm new to this too. I came hoping to find answers for my on situation but I saw your struggle and I 've traveled that road already. God didn't call you to save anyone! That's his job and he doesn't need your help. I know that sounds harsh but it's what I need and had to hear to move on. Sometimes we get so comfortable in dis comfort that we think that's where we should stay. God gives us the spirit of discernment for good reason. If this man is draining you your spirit then use your discernment. Is this really what God wants for you? I think that we can want something so bad that it distorts our vision. Yes you want what God wants for your realationship to work but are you willing to step back and let God work. Look, I'm in the same struggle.It's hard to love someone that's not walking the same path as you.But it says howcan two walk together unless they agree. If he's left and your right how can you come together.God will bring it back around if that's his plan if not you are STILL BLESSED. I think I just answered my own questions! hope isaid something to bless you too.
tippieangel

newbeginnings

Thank you Gracious for all the scripture to help me get some direction in my situation. 

Thank you also tippieangel for your reply, my spirits were boosted and I'm glad you were blessed as well.