• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Men, Tears, and the Color Pink

Started by Imagineme, May 02, 2006, 10:23:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Imagineme

Hello All,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on men showing emotions other than anger or excitement in public/private settings.  I was chit chatting with a friend on this subject and the words, weak and punk came up (seeing and or/hearing men cry). I feel bad that men are traditionally not allowed to show fear, shed tears, and wear the color pink (still getting use to that one  ::)) I mean, pink is obviously the color that was/is in.  I believe that it takes a strong man who knows who he is to wear pink, or is really gay and really loves pink.  But enough about pink
My boy Hines Ward (86) got flack for crying for his team mate when they didn't make it to the SuperBowl.  But it seemed okay for him to turn on the sprinklers when they did win this year.  Why is one situation different from the other one??  hmmm ???

David Dupree

It isn't that men are not allowed to show tears, anger, fear, etc; but traditionally it has been seen as a sign of weakness. Well like many other male myths, that isn't true either.

I never heard that Hines caught flack concerning crying last year.  (and I'm a pretty good sports nut.)  But what of it? The greatest boohooing goes on like during the NCAA March madness or NBA/NFL playoffs.  Why should he be singled out when many bigger and taller and richer boohoo, wear pink etc.

My reality-outside of mythland--has shown that those real men who want to emote, emote and those who don't or as a certain person would say, are not in touch with their emotions, don't.
c'est la vie

One thing is for certain: when a man is in touch with the Savior in a serious level of intimacy, there will be a breaking down of strongholds.  Thank God for that.

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

Gracious

LAWD HAM-MUUUURCY ... 

Teach us ... (speakin' from da' deaconess side a' da' room  :D )

Quote"... My reality-outside of mythland--has shown that those real men who want to emote, emote and those who don't or as a certain person would say, are not in touch with their emotions, don't.

c'est la vie...

One thing is for certain: when a man is in touch with the Savior in a serious level of intimacy, there will be a breaking down of strongholds.  Thank God for that."

"...c'est la vie"  (err-aaa...such is life ??? )

AWESOME ... WISDOM brutha'

I truly love this site 8)

Susta' "G" 
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

bishopbiscuits

...........In the football illustration that you gave, here's one take.  Because there are people who identify themselves with their team on a personal level, they may judge lost games through their own hurt pride ( especially if they put money on the game  ::) )  So, their team is in the "doghouse" with them for a while, because the feeling is that there was something more that they could have done to pull out the victory.
...........In this case tears might be the catalyst for scrutiny. Seeing their team that lost crying adds insult to the "injury" of a lost game to some.
...........There are some cities where the overall mood can shift with the fortunes of a beloved sports team. Especially championship teams.
.........On the other hand, tears of joy in celebrating a win might be perceived as further evidence of the effort and investment by the team. "You sacrficed and fought until you came away with the win!" might be the sentiment. You kept it all together, so now you can let go. Time to exhale and enjoy, because you have earned respect/admiration by what you have accomplished.

.........In general, I beleieve that many men will convey what they are comfortable,  need to, or feel safe in sharing.  Some expressions are  personality based, while some are based on atmosphere/environment or anticipated events. His character and personality will flavor and regulate his expression.

...........In the end, a man made complete in Christ is best able to share the heart of God and his own heart. This is because he has grown from seeking the revelation and understanding of God towards him in the midst of his various circumstances. With confidence, vision, and faith through God, he can choose not to fear by the strength of Christ in him.
..........And loving and accepting himself, he can be bold enough to to stay "himself" in all circumstances. Being able to recognize and express himself emotionally after his own God-tempered manner.

P.S.         ... Though I won't say that pink is 100% effeminate, you won't see me wearing any!! LOL :P :P :o ;D ;D
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1