• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

A Battle Plan for the Eyes and Mind

Started by Forum Administrator, April 22, 2005, 06:11:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Administrator

A Battle Plan for the Eyes and Mind
by New Life Ministries

It's critical to recognize visual sexual impurity as foreplay. If viewing sensual things merely provides a flutter of appreciation for a woman's beauty, it would be no different than viewing the awesome power of a thunderstorm racing over the Iowa cornfields. No sin. No problem.

But if it is foreplay, and if you're getting sexual gratification from images of women, you are defiling the marriage bed.

The problem is that your eyes have always bounced toward the sexual, and you've made no attempt to end this habit. To combat it, you need to build a reflex action by training your eyes to immediately bounce away from the sexual, like the jerk of your hand away from a hot stove. - Every Man's Battle

Fix Your Eyes On The Straight and Narrow

I will set before my eyes
no vile thing.
Psalm 101:3, NIV

Turn away my eyes from looking at the worthless things,
And revive me in Your way.
Psalm 119:37, NKJV

I will tell you who can live here: All who are honest and
fair,...who shut their eyes to all enticement to do wrong.
Isaiah 33:15, TLB

Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before
you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; then stick to
the path and stay safe. Don't get sidetracked; keep your feet
from following evil.
Proverbs 4:25-27, NLT

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw
it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body
than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
Matthew 5:29, NIV
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

bishopbiscuits

Blink.
Break the circuit.
Don't go there.

BBD

.........Since our eyes are a primary source of information for us, it is helpful to remember that we still control what we set our eyes on and how we choose to interpret what we see.
..........Interpretation is what the mind does. In our minds images are given meanings. In our minds connections can be made to enhance the sense of importance  of what is seen. To determine desireability, and to what level and which direction to put our attention.
........... Today's society boasts of limitless possibilities, with limited accountability. But we must be more mindful of ourselves.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by
the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and
acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Colossians 3:10 - And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

............As Christians we are given great possibilities and opportunities, but with great accountability. This accountability to God, ourselves, and others, can be used to remind us to bring forth our SHIELD OF FAITH. Placing our faith  quickly between us and the temptations that come, gives us the chance to use our SWORD (the Word of God) more effectively.
..........Here is something that helps me, and I believe it will be helpful to share.
  :) :)

Blink.
Break the circuit.
Don't go there.

BBD

Blink- to close and reopen the eyes. Natural blinking refreshes the eyes' moisture and helps block foreign particles from entering the eye.
....Spiritual blinking might be described as the swift closing and reopening of our perception, to allow the flow of  peace, truth, and love that we know through God's Spirit to refresh our perspective on what we "see."

Break the circuit- Don't let selfish ideas and motives attach to your thoughts concerning what you "see." Satan is a great "hype" man. He will say anything and everything that he can to see what you will allow to stick in your mind. If you choose to believe the hype, then he creates a whirlwind of thought that has nothing to do with right relationship, only right away, and right now. Don't accept thoughts that make a woman (or her image) just a vessel for your desires.

Don't go there- Don't let other pressures and circumstances in life be used as a reason to be self-indulgent. You may feel cheated, or deprived, taken for granted, ignored, overwhelmed, rebellious, or uninspired temporarily. The enemy will try to use your feelings as leverage to get you off balance and leaning towards sin and compromise. Your feelings and situations God can help you through. Yielding to temptation can put you out of position to receive the answer you need, complicating your life unnecessarily. 

So, in short:

Blink- quickly separate your focus from visual temptation
Break the circuit-check your motives; be careful of swift deception 
Don't go there- refuse to validate or excuse your way into sin

BBD

.....Exodus 20:14..KJV....Thou shalt not commit adultery.
.....Matthew 5:27-28 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you that whosoever looketh upon a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in
his heart.
.....Job 31:1.....I made a covenant with my eyes;why then should I think upon a maid?

.....There will always be people and qualities that you will find attractive. But the lust of the eyes is a selfish desire to consume and possess what is seen. It goes beyond  simple appreciation. It affects how we view and communicate with women, whether you realize it or not. Don't give it a place to stay in you.  :) :) :)
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

pressingon

Sorry to jump in the MEN's territory  ;) However, this is very pertinent for us ladies as well.  When people think of the lust of the eyes we mostly think of men.  Women are just more subtle in our looks or sometime "glares" that we give  :o We can cross this line and turn our glance into something sexual as well. 

I'm in a wedding in July and had to take a stand against attending the Bachelorette Party.  I know I'm alone responsible for what I allow my eyes to take in.  Blinking or Turning away would not work in such an environment.   ;D Need I say more.  Good Info Forum Admin and BB, thanks.

Pressingon
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.
Phillipians 3:14

bishopbiscuits

Pressingon,

...You are doing the right thing by taking a stand for yourself and what you believe.    :) :) :) Though the topic seemed to focus moreso on images versus live situations, the intent remains the same:

1 Timothy 6:11 - But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.   

2 Timothy 2:22 - Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1