• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Is Materialistic Wrong?

Started by Novelist, August 06, 2004, 01:18:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Novelist

The truth is we want MONEY.  We need money to survive with basic needs of shelter, clothing, and food, pay tithes in the church, go on vacations, save for a rainy day, pay bills, buy new clothes, bless others, give to charities, and the list goes on.  Money is a factor of the world and we will constantly be challenged with having money or being short.  Honestly, I do not profess to be materialistic.  However, my pose for this subject is from the living expenses from day to day and how we need it.  I understand, for the love of money is the root to all evil, if you allow money to become your idol.  Needless to say, I love nice things, although I do not have all of the things I desire, but when I get to that place, I want to have the best because I deserve it.  Moreover, is it wrong to want someone to have the same in return?  Especially, when relationships are formed, individuals want someone who can show them a good time at a nice restaurant, special shops, plan big events with the best and who wears nice clothes.

It takes money to look good and I believe you should look good regardless of your singleness or marriage.  It is about feeling good about yourself.  Money has power.  It has the power to persuade, manipulate, and behave differently.  Some women may want a man with a nice car or a man may want a women with a size 4 body wearing the "Baby Phat", "Guess", "Fubu" gear.  Personally, I do not own any of those things, but if I was that size and could afford it, I would.  Is that the wrong way of thinking if I want someone to have these nice things, yet I do not possess all of the same things?

Money is one of the leading problems in society in my opinion because people want to stand out.  Whenever I use WE, it is referring to people who are similar to us because MONEY is gold and silver to the eyes of man.  Getting money will make a woman feel like a queen and a man feel like the king of the world.  Furthermore, having a great time can be without money, but with money can earn a greater time.  I believe that money is what we all want and if someone or even ourselves do not have it, sometimes people do not want to be around.  How can a man take me out and do not have the funds to show me a great time?  Does anyone feel the same or differently?

ethereal

Nov,

"How can a man w/o funds take you out and show you a great time?" Maybe it's your idea of a "great time" that needs tweaking. "Great" is relative to what a person is doing and subjective to that person's viewpoint. Granted, if a man doesn't have any money and doesn't appear to be concerned with getting any, then you may not want to be with him, but it cannot be where he is being judged by his wallet. Think about this: All you can see is what he is, God sees what he will be. If you can line your vision up with God's, it'll change what you think you need or want.

Novelist

Does wanting someone with money a bad thing? For instance, I would like for a young man to dress nice or have a decent job in order to keep himself looking presentable.  Is that a bad thing if I desire those things and would rather not deal with someone who does not possess that expectation?  I was wondering about dating someone who can possibly wear nice clothes, have a decent job, and carry those personality traits of potential boyfriend.  Material things will always be in the world, but I am not implying that Gold digging is right.  My point is this: Does materialistic thinking such as wanting someone to possess material things and having the spiritual walk with God a plus?  I am wondering about this and wanted to seek some advice.