• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Cross-cultural dating

Started by jadekay, October 25, 2008, 01:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jadekay

If both the boyfriend and the girlfriend come from different cultures, how can they continue to build up a Christ-centered relationship with their differences in upbringing, practice and experiences?

Forum Administrator

A Christ-centered relationship is just that: one that has Christ as the center. In Christ, there is no "Jew" or "Greek" only Christ so any "differences" you have -- cultural or otherwise -- should be approached using the principles of the Christ centered life found in the word of God. If you have any specific examples, perhaps a more direct light can be shed on the subject.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

jadekay

For instance, a Jewish man and a Greek woman carry out certain cultural practices that hold significance to their Christian faith.

If one of their practices does not align with how the other practices Christian faith, should they still partake in incompatible practices? 

Through interaction and conversation of friends, I've learned that couples can fight over their different cultural idiosyncrasies of their Christian faith.

Gracious

Quote from: jadekay on October 26, 2008, 05:27:52 am
For instance, a Jewish man and a Greek woman carry out certain cultural practices that hold significance to their Christian faith.

If one of their practices does not align with how the other practices Christian faith, should they still partake in incompatible practices? 

Ahhh ... Please help me here my sister ... in understanding your question ... .

If the man is Jewish, how could he have a CHRISTIAN faith?  :o

Please clarify.
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

jadekay

The man is Jewish by heritage, but practices Christianity as his faith.

David Dupree

Hi Jadekay and welcome to deepwaters.

You present a concept that has been the subject of much debate in relationship scenarios.  In these forums we attempt to provide sound biblically-based help to those having relationship issues.

Those persons adhering to the Christian doctrine should remember to "follow peace with all men."  That notion includes spouses. "Come let us reason together says the Lord."  When the "twain" become one, then that "one" has to remember to put the other's needs ahead of his/her own.  But at the same time, that one has to balance what is "required" (scripturally) of him/her in the practice of worship and homage to God through Jesus Christ with what is personally "desired." Often our cultural practices may be scripturally inspired, but not required and as such is just desired.   

Sure, at some point there may be some none-negotiables.  And then there may be some things that do have some variance.  If the variance is not leading one into sin, then a sacrifice may be in order to keep peace. This not only strengthens the relationship, but it also exhibits the type of Love that God had for us as while we were yet in sin, He loved us enough to send His only Son-the ultimate sacrifice.  What better way to "win" a spouse than through the Love of God. 

The key is to stay in prayer and in the Word so that one may hear God's voice and not follow any strangers.  This is also important here (along with discernment) so that one may ascertain whether the motives of the spouse are pure and without mal-intent.   

I believe the same would hold true with intra-Christian scenarios. 

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

Gracious

Couldn't agree with you more brother Dupree :)

I'd begun posting a response to you jadekay when my spirit unctioned me to re-read your question, which is why I'd asked for you to clarify your meaning.  Thanks for the clarification. :) 

Not to get too technical concerning your response, but the Rabbinical Leadership is very firm towards letting both Jews & non-Jews know that Judaism is their "religious" preference & not their "ethnicity" .  Meaning, simply because one's family has " kept" the Jewish faith, does not necessarily mean that one's children are "born Jewish".   As with all three major monotheistic religions, the spiritual decision is individual.

Back to your initial question ...  :)

jadekay ... The Apostle Paul did not mince words concerning traditions, and we see that he"did" address your question.    During his time, there were heavy instances of Christians who were bound by a Pharisaical Reign & culture.  Many "Christians" lived by the Jewish traditions of the Pentateuch & others by Greek (Gentile) cultural tradition.  Again, Paul saw this & addressed it directly by stating the following:

2 Corinthians 6:13-15
(King James Version)

13Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.
14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
[/color]

If the ritualistic/cultural practices of an individual do "not" line-up with GOD's Inspiration/the Word Of GOD... THAT practice is a defilement to HIM, will be harmful & must be avoided/shunned.

Example ...

As Christians we hold many "denominations", how biblically correct is that? Some come together to worship GOD on Saturday, some on Sunday ... Some practice the ritual of Christmas, others practice the Kwanzaa ritual, some Christ-Followers practice the ritual of Honokaa!  Are any of these ritualistic cultural practices biblically based? If they are not ... should we partake of them?

Sound - Truthful biblical exegesis is optimum!!!

Which again, is why I do agree with brother DD when he said: Those persons adhering to the Christian doctrine should remember to "follow peace with all men."  That notion includes spouses.

We know that GOD is not an author of confusion, and HIS Inspiration in never divisive, should we seek Jesus The Christ via HIS Spirit.   The Holy Bible should be our "standard" concerning our "relationship" practices.

GOD bless,

Gracious
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&