• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Want to be sure---is this God or me?

Started by 1EagleSky, June 20, 2008, 01:12:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1EagleSky

I have recently been getting the impression that God means for a certain young man I liked and confessed my feelings to some years ago to be together. I have been in prayer, and  God has impressed upon my mind Scriptures, like Isaiah 43:18-19, and also Matthew 21:21-22 (about mountain moving faith and the fig tree).

This would truly be a miracle from God indeed if we were to have a relationship that led to marriage, because we live in different states, he doesn't like long distance relationships, he told me years before that he only likes me as a friend, and he doesn't believe there is Scriptures that says God does matchmaking for us. Whenever God impresses on my mind certain Scriptures, I keep running into those same themes for days at a time(ie, a friend will bring the same verses up, I'll see a minister on TV/hear on radio a sermon about the same Scriptures, etc.)

I want to be absolutely sure that this is God and not me, as I have no time for deception, and want to make sure this is not wishful thinking on my part, even though I don't think it is, because a lot of the Scriptures God has shown me were ones I had to seek and find in the Bible----that is, He would speak the verses to me, but because I wasn't familiar with it, hadn't heard it before, I'd get out the Bible and look for it.
Any advice?

Forum Administrator

1EagleSky, APOLOGIES!! I meant to respond to this when you first posted but got called away. I wanted to ask you what is the young man saying concerning relationship with you? Is he expressing any greater interest in you than friendship only? Is he still opposed to long distance relationships? I've heard men say that when they really want something, they find a way to make things work. He is right that there is no direct scripture (at least that I know of) that indicates that God does match-making for us. There are scriptures, however, that give us accounts of God's leading in the selection of a mate and there are scriptures that let us know that He will guide us in those kinds of important decisions if we ask Him to. God does not force relationships together-- the way He deals with us in salvation is proof of that-- but He does present us with the best possible options and then enables us to choose wisely. If this gentleman is one of those options, then you can rest assured that a similar "impression" will be at work in his heart also because God never does anything half way.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

1EagleSky

No, everything is just as it was before----nothing's changed.

Forum Administrator

Hi 1EagleSky. If everything is as it was before, could it be possible that Isaiah 43:18-19: 18 "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. 19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." could be God's way of encouraging you to release the past and welcome something new that He has in store for you? Perhaps Matthew 21:21-22 is to encourage your faith in what He wants to do in that regard. Remember, God never wants us to use our faith to change the will of another person. That would be tantamount to witchcraft and God doesn't operate that way. Never believe that there is "the one" for you. If God intends for you to marry, there will be "some one," and if it's not that one, it will be another.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14