• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

So Fustrated

Started by tynialoveschrist, July 05, 2007, 09:29:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tynialoveschrist

Hello any and everyone Listening, thanks. I am very frustrated with being so anxious. I am a very anxious person. It has caused me so many problems in the past. I know what the bible says about being anxious. It says not to be, but let my request be known to God in prayer. I know I know.

I really like this brother, very much. I want to get to know him. He's friends with my big brother in Christ and fellowships somewhere else.  I don't know anything about him other than he's a good brother according to Kevin, my big brother in Christ. He speaks very highly of his humility and heart for God. I think he's beautiful. He's very nice to me when we do get to interact. His conversation is clean and very personable.  He's also very handsome. I want to know more about him. I want him to get a chance to get to know me as well. He doesn't come around that often and when he does, we are in a big group. The men will be watching some sporting event and the women will be talking to each other. It is frowned upon, for a woman to approach a man with intent to spark a courtship.

Well, I'm loosing this battle. I need some help. I'm getting on everybody's nerves talking about this brother. I really hate that I can't shake this thing. The last person I was interested in, the Lord reveled some really crucial things to me about his character before I started t really feel like I do now. I'm not delusional in thinking what I feel for him is any more than like. In fact I'm not sure if I really like him, that's why I want to get a chance to spend more time talking to him. I'm becoming very impatient and I can see it. Apart of me keeps saying, if he is interested he will approach me. The other part is saying, well he needs some help to see what he could be missing. I know I'm wrong, but I want to tell him of my interest.

Any pray or words of encouragement or rebuke is greatly appreciated. I don't want to mess things up with my inpatients. If we are only meant to be friends or acquaintances, then I don't want to make things awkward.

Thanks for listening.

David Dupree

Hello and welcome to Deepwaters

Well you know the scriptures.  Are you also familiar with the scripture that says to the effect that it is folly (foolish) to know the scripture and not do it?  So don't ignore the Word because you have feelings.  You overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the Word of your testimony.  Then to overcome, if you are already a bloodwashed believer, the other part you need is your testimony.  If your testimony is impatience, frustration and the "can't help its," then you will succumb to the test that you need to pass.  Remember like in school, you don't get promoted if you don't pass the test.  No test, then no testimony. 

You can pass this one.  It is easy.  The instructions say follow the WORD! That is all. No excuses for your flesh.  Follow God, follow the Word.  Greater is God/Word in you than he that is in the world.  Maybe you need some more Word in you. Nothing like extra study for a big test.   ;)

Now as a practical matter, quit telling everyone how much you like this guy and just hold your peace.  What God has for you is for you! He knows the plans He has for you, to prosper you and give you an expected end.  What end are you expecting?  Then leave the how up to God.  Stay out of God's business.

dd

p.s. As one admittedly anxious, it is clear that you are not ready for a relationship anyway.  You still have some work that needs to be done on you.  Anxiety will get you child support instead of emotional support.  Anxiety will get you foodstamps instead of fellowship.  Anxiety will get you dogged instead of a dove (peace).  Anxiety will get you harassed instead of hugged.  Anxiety will get you babydaddydrama instead of a dramatic wedding. Anxiety will get you schooled instead of you finishing school. Anxiety will cost you instead of paying you.  Anxiety retards you instead of accelerating you. 
My sister be anxious for NO Thing.
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

christianthought

I agree completely.  There is a little I'd like to add, though.

It may be that God has put the desire for this brother in your heart, and that it's a God thing in addition to being a good thing.  I would suggest asking Him what He wants you to do next.  In the beginning, God.  Everything should start and continue to rely upon the Lord, His Spirit, and His leading.  His.  Not ours.  I mean, perhaps you should even start by talking to God about this gentleman, and seeing what He has to say about him.  If you want wisdom from God about this matter (as I believe you do), then ask Him. 

In referencing the Word, the "off of the cuff" answer is to continue being patient, in addition to continuing to watch and pray.  You only seeing him in a group is a good thing.  You have an opportunity to observe his character long enough so that you can discern past any possible deceit.  So God is actually being faithful to you in allowing you to move past the point of infatuation and to let your brain get back into the game, so to speak.  I don't know if you've read "Knight in Shining Armor" by Bunny Wilson, but if not, you should.  She addresses the whole romantic realm in a scriptural, humorous, real way.  It's good stuff.

Just as God was faithful in letting you know about the previous guy, He will be faithful in this situation as well.