• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 06:09:39 am

tithing?

Started by KJSiv, May 31, 2004, 11:07:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KJSiv

it is debated amongst churches today. what do you guys/gals  think about the subject? are we "required" to tithe today? if so, why. if not, why. i feel "why" is one of the best questions believers can ask. as opposed to blind repitition, or doing something b/c such and such says so. :'(. i personally do not "tithe". i will explain later.

so lets discuss the issue and see where it takes us.

later

soup should be seen... not heard! ;D

AtHisFeet

Tithing is such a touchy subject in the church today....in fact....money is a touchy subject PERIOD!....and my question is why?

Answer number one...the enemy has done a good job of instilling distrust among the saints concerning money in the church. .....

We have witnessed the dishonest church leaders who misuse the tithe and offerings of the congregation...we see the bling! bling! pastor or preacher but the welfare sheep.....we go to conferences and we have $100, $1000, $10000 offering lines...Everytime we turn on the Christian stations we hear someone talking about sowing a seed to help the ministry....we are inundated with talk of money and the church!

Answer number two....our faith....

let's face it ...unless you are just rolling in the dough...or are fully in your harvest season....THINGS ARE TIGHT!...and we start to think.."I don't have money to just give away.....is this really going to benefit me?" :-/

The answer...Yes! :D

Why? because tithing is an issue of obedience and faith...not money ...not the church(even though it should be used as provision for the church)....or whether or not we fall under the law. (an excuse we'll get to in a second..)

God tells us in His Word to give tithes and the offerings and as a result He gives us a promise...
"...Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this, " says the Lord Almighty, "And see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it..." Malachi 3:10 (NIV)

It is our love for God that calls for obedience to His commands.....It is our faith in His Word that allows us to rest and have peace when giving our tithes because we believe in the promise He made if we do......an overflow of blessings.

And We can't discredit it by saying ..."Well, tithing was part of the Old Testament law and since we are no longer under the law (because of Jesus Christ) it doesn't apply to us"......(an excuse I have heard many times).......tithing was practiced before God gave Moses the law! ..(reference Abraham and Melchizedek, Genesis Ch.14...Jacob Genesis Ch. 28  )...it was a form of honor....

I would not sit here and say that tithing isn't sometimes hard ...because Lord knows there are circumstances when you are writing that check or giving that cash and all the while you hear yourself saying....."Lord! YOU KNOW!"

....and the truth is....He does  :)

Faith honors God...God honors Faith.

Forum Administrator

Well said, AtHisFeet. Welcome!
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

KJSiv

i think the fact that IT IS infact part of the law is very significant. also why do you say it was "to give honor". is this in scripture? also, how do you explain 2 Cor. chapters 8&9. also define "overflow of blessings". are you experiencing this now? in what ways? are you saying tithing is not necessarily part of the law?

thank you for your response. :)

truth does not cease to exist b/c it is ignored ;D