• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

How do I handle this?

Started by live4god, November 16, 2005, 11:11:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

live4god

Hi, 
  I am new to this website, but it looks as though the people here offer some really good advice.  So, let's see.  I was reintroduced to a guy that I met in college through a friend of mine.  During school, we only knew each other because he lived in the same town as my friend.   Anyway, he got married a couple of years ago.  When I was reintroduced to him in February, he was in my city staying with a friend, since January, separated from his "wife."  As we all hung in the same crew in college, he started coming over to my friend's house for dinner.  In a short amount of time, we became interested in one another.  We started to spend a lot of time with each other talking, mainly about his marriage.   He explained that she didn't want him there and  that he did love for her.   
   Over several months, we became closer, as she wanted a divorce.  He went to the state of their marriage several times to sign the divorce papers-she never showed up.  As the months past, we still discussed their marriage and where he stood with that.  He stood by his decision that although he believed that once a person was married, they should stay married,  he no longer wanted to be with her, but he wanted to be in her child's life.  He has been raising her for the past 5 years. 
   In August, she and her daughter (whom he absolutely adores) had to move in with him (platonically) because of other situations in her life.   When he told her that he had found a friend that he was interested in, she found out all the info she could on me and has thrown it in his face.  She contacted me and told me that I ruined his family and now he won't ever get to see "his" daughter again, because of me.  In the time she stayed there with him, she decided that she wanted to remain married.  He has gone along with this, in my opinion, he has done it to stay around her child.
   I was born and raised in the church, I know that I shouldn't have dated a man that was married.  I know that I should have let the situation be what it was, just a friendship.  However, humanly, I fell in love with this man.  We talked, spent time together, dated, even went on trips.  He is easily one of my favorite people.  I have not spoken to him since we talked and he said that unfortunately, he has decided to stay with her. 
   My issue, is getting past the anger of this.  She has done disrespectful, thoughtless, and illegal things to me.  I know that I am a Christian and I have to do things differently than the world, but it is hard when I am continuously being tested by this one person.  I respect their union, but I am still left with these feelings for a "married man."  I know although we saw eye to eye on so many things and we were very good to one another, God isn't going to send me someone else's husband.  The question still remains, however, How do I get over this?  It's been months and it is still hard not to pick up my phone and call him to talk about my day.
1-Love
Live4God

Breathedonme

Hi Live,

I don't think I have much of an answer for you ... each one of us so different as to how we handle things.

I am so sorry that you fell in the "trap" of a rebound situation.

I am not sure if this man was trying to dupe you.  However, my cynical side makes me wonder how completely honest he has been with you.

It also is amazing how this woman blames you . . . I wonder what her real story is?

That's neither here nor there.  How do you go on?  First, I guess, by forgiving yourself as you have asked God to forgive you.

Then make steps to proceed with your life.  What are some of your goals?  If you don't already, do something to bless others in need.  That has helped me in my heartbreak -- coming outside of my pain to bring love and Christ and help to others in need.

Continue to grow in your worship and praise before and with the Lord -- this will help with your healing.

Remember, this too will pass.

ALL things work together for good . . .

Be blessed dear Sistah!