• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Tithes

Started by poetress, July 21, 2005, 02:36:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

poetress

Hello... I need some advice regarding tithes.  Currently, I'm a full-time student and I'm paying my tuition as I go.  When I attend church, I be sure to give an offering, but I don't pay tithes, since I'm trying to pay my tuition bills.  Is this wrong. 

David Dupree

Hi Poetress,

Many people teach that you tithe off your earnings. But the scripture says that you tithe off your increase.  Well even for a college student, the question is what are you increased?  If you believe that taking out a loan that you will pay back and that goes directly to the school does not increase you, then you should not tithe off of that.  What about if you receive a scholarship or grant that does go to you and helps to pay some of your tuition and the rest is to go to your pocket? 

My suggestion is this: do what you feel in your heart to do.  The fact that you raise this issue possibly means that you have a heart to give, you are to be a blessing to the household of faith, you feel convicted from not tithing, you believe God is leading you to tithe or any or all of the above.   Remember, the Lord knows your heart and even your thoughts afar off.  He also the desires of their heart to those who delight themselves in Him. 

It isn't a scripture, but it is a proven idiom that God will not let you do more for Him than He will do for you. 

I hope that was helpful.
dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

poetress

Thanks D!  I think it's just that I feel a little convicted.  I used to tithe consistently, but my tuition bills began to take over.  So I was wondering if I should just pay less on my bills and continue to tithe from my salary, or just give from my heart and began to tithe once school is over in December.  I think I'm leaning towards continuing to tithe and paying less on my bills.  Maybe it's a trust issue that I need to overcome...