• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Do you know the purpose?

Started by bishopbiscuits, July 14, 2005, 08:18:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bishopbiscuits

"The devil has thwarted many plans because romance got confused with purpose."

.........Thank you Gerard for saying so much with one sentence. It brought back to mind something that I was taught years ago about the Holy Spirit. I believe the statement was: One of the properties of the Holy Spirit is to draw people.
..........So, if you have the Holy Spirit within you, then that same quality or natural effect of drawing will take place in your life.

Matthew 6:33 - But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

.......... We are  part of a royal priesthood. If someone is drawn to us, or we are drawn to someone, at some point (sooner rather than later) we need to be somewhat aware of the purpose and nature of the connection. Especially when there is "romantic potential."
.........If we are not watchful, what was meant to be innocent support and fellowship can be turned into a behind the scenes search for Mr./Ms. Right, or Right Now.
...........We must be careful of seeking our purpose ahead of God's. Or our own purpose in the name of God, deceiving ourselves.
.............Besides if you are too busy "prospecting" that it becomes a "natural" habit for you to be on the hunt, you might want to remember the saying:  Old habits die hard. And when you reach the time that you want to kick the habit, you may find it difficult. Not just for you, but the one who is to be the final "prospect."

.............So, you will have to set some boundaries, and don't be ashamed to give them to yourself and the other person. If you find yourself reluctant to create a mutual understanding, you may be still wrestling with your own motives, or the purpose of the relationship.
............This doesn't mean that you go around with a huge "rule book" to hit folks over the head with, but rather that you have at least for yourself, a sense of what is proper for a given level of relationship. And the conviction to pray and say,"Not my will, but Thine be done, Lord."

Matthew 26:41 - Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.  

P.S.  ..........Sometimes we may "watch" but forget the "pray" part!  :) :) :)

Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

bishopbiscuits

.........On a personal note, the post above is a part of what I am learning about myself and my relationships.
..........I have seen others start something off with good intentions , just to have a mess left over. Times of indiscretion with regard to the opposite sex. If not for the grace of God, I might have been in those same situations. 
..........I don't credit myself, but God for allowing me to learn from others mistakes, before making them myself. Plus, He helped me to have enough "not my will, Lord" in me in my youth to keep me out of some things I was about to start, in my own selfishness and being naive.
..........I am still learning, but I know that I want to be in God's perfect will. So as I journey, I just try to "stay in tune" with how He leads me, and watchful of how I might lead myself.  If I find myself beginning to feel needy or greedy,  then I know I need to "try" what's in my heart.

..........To me , it would be a shame if all fellowship were complicated unnecessarily by romantic ties. Because it makes interaction between  the sexes a competition; some people into trophies,some bystanders, and some just plain victims of the game. 
.........And the beauty of simple fellowship, sense of family, and truth get lost in the shuffle.
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1