• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Valentine's Day

Started by Forum Administrator, February 02, 2005, 09:53:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have plans for Valentine's Day?

Yes. I've got something special planned.
5 (55.6%)
No, but I wish I did.
1 (11.1%)
Do you have any suggestions?
3 (33.3%)
I really think it's a lot of hype.
1 (11.1%)
I would love to spend it with someone special.
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: February 16, 2005, 09:55:40 pm

Forum Administrator

There are some people--both married and unmarried--who do not look forward to Valentine's Day. For them the day serves as a reminder of what they wish they had: a good healthy relationship.

How do you feel about Valentine's Day?
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

Gracious

Well Praise the Lord Saints: :D

Well, the LOVER in me :o just couldn't resist a reply to this topic!!! (LOL)

Firstly, my curiosity gave rise to the OBVIOUS question...: From whence did this universal TRADITION come......EXACTLY???

Sooooooooooo, for all who are curious...this is what I'd uncovered:

The History Of Valentine's day

As early as the fourth century B.C., the Romans engaged in an annual young man's rite to passage to the God Lupercus. The names of the teenage women were placed in a box and drawn at random by adolescent men; thus, a man was assigned a woman companion for the duration of the year, after which another lottery was staged. After eight hundred years of this cruel practice, the early church fathers sought to end this practice... They found an answer in Valentine, a bishop who had been martyred some two hundred years earlier.

According to church tradition St. Valentine was a priest near Rome in about the year 270 A.D. At that time the Roman Emperor Claudius-II who had issued an edict forbidding marriage.

This was around when the heyday of Roman Empire had almost come to an end. Lack of quality administrators led to frequent civil strife. Learning declined, taxation increased, and trade slumped to a low, precarious level. And the Gauls, Slavs, Huns, Turks and Mongolians from Northern Europe and Asian increased their pressure on the empire's boundaries. The empire was grown too large to be shielded from external aggression and internal chaos with existing forces. Thus more of capable men were required to be recruited as soldiers and officers. When Claudius became the emperor, he felt that married men were more emotionally attached to their families, and thus, will not make good soldiers. So to assure quality soldiers, he banned marriage.

Valentine, a bishop, seeing the trauma of young lovers, met them in a secret place, and joined them in the sacrament of matrimony. Claudius learned of this "friend of lovers," and had him arrested. The emperor, impressed with the young priest's dignity and conviction, attempted to convert him to the roman gods, to save him from certain execution. Valentine refused to recognize Roman Gods and even attempted to convert the emperor, knowing the consequences fully.
On February 24, 270, Valentine was executed.[/color]

"From your Valentine"

While Valentine was in prison awaiting his fate, he came in contact with his jailor, Asterius. The jailor had a blind daughter. Asterius requested him to heal his daughter. Through his faith he miraculously restored the sight of Asterius' daughter. Just before his execution, he asked for a pen and paper from his jailor, and signed a farewell message to her "From Your Valentine," a phrase that lived ever after.

Valentine thus becomes a Patron Saint, and spiritual overseer of an annual festival. The festival involved young Romans offering women they admired, and wished to court, handwritten greetings of affection on February 14. The greeting cards acquired St.Valentine's name.

The Valentine's Day card spread with Christianity, and is now celebrated all over the world. One of the earliest cards was sent in 1415 by Charles, duke of Orleans, to his wife while he was a prisoner in the Tower of London. The card is now preserved in the British Museum.

[/color]

Lawd Ham' Muuurcy ::) ... Can you believe how, young teenage women were soooooo entirely devalued (names placed in a box???)... AND...ole' Emperor Claudias...banning marriage...rendering the first covenant between man & GOD...unlawful??? :o

Whelp, considering (the scribes ::) hadn't formulated the Holy scrolls for the Apocrypha yet...polytheism was an accepted worship ritual (for most anyway)!!!

Da' Bishop Valentine...sort of reminded me of Shadrach, Mishack(sp?), & Abendigo regarding his refusal to bow down to otha' Gods, even if it meant incarceration & death!!! Poor Valentine...GOD didn't prevent his fatal consumption!!! :'(   ....(BIG SIGH)

Anywhoooo, thought ya'll might find the history of this romantic tradition....ahhhhh...somewhat...sobering???

[/color]

Seriously saints...For those "Leading Ladies...who are PATIENTLY ??? waiting...I know it may be difficult to believe...but he's TRUELY coming........ and for you Mighty Men of PATIENCE...GOD has a wonderful way of opening your eyes and touching your HEART for her...in HIS time...so until then beloved... allow Jesus...to be your LOVER... the lover of your soul!!! ;)

Gracious :-*

"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

Jesaira

Hello, Deep Waters family!  It's been awhile....

Much like Gracious, I could not help but respond to this post.  Gracious, wow the history behind Valentine's Day is quite insightful, thanks...

As I read the post I begin to reflect on how the enemy HATES marriage and many times, he tries to decieve those of us who are waiting for God to reveal our mates.  The enemy used Emperor Claudius tback in the day and now, he is using "same sex" relationships to destroy the beautiful sanctity of marriage.  BUT THE DEVIL IS A LIAR!! 

When I think of Valentine's Day, I am ever so reminded that God has made me a promise and I am refreshed.  Love is in the air, what a wonderful thing!  I anticipate great and wonderful things this year for many single believers.

This year, God revealed to me that there is going to be a great outpouring of weddings and engagements....so, get ready people of God.  God is orchestrating wholesome relationships that will birth mighty covenants in the earth.  Be discerning and open your heart to receive as He (the Heavenly Father) gives...

As a matter of fact, this past Sunday, we had a wedding in the middle of our 11:00 a.m. worship service.  It was a total surprise BUT my God...it was a powerful indication of the swift transition that's taking place in the Body of Christ.  God is restoring the family and He is making the enemy out to be a liar. God is doing it!!  Hallelujah!  He is joining man and woman by His sovereign spirit and what God joins together NO MAN will be able to put asunder!  Amen...

Be blessed and get ready!

Jesaira
God's Chosen,

Jesaira L. Glover
And now I will show you the most excellent way...love

bishopbiscuits

;D...I enjoyed the previous posts. For me, valentine's days past have been met with mixed feelings.
.......Personally, I have not been in a dating relationship, so anything on that side of the fence I have not worried about.
.......I like the idea of it, though. So I do something different, sometimes. I will bring flowers to female relatives in the area, just to say 'Hi', or bring a small bunch to share among a few of my co-workers. I don't buy roses for them, but I may bring multi-colored carnations, or something else decorative and colorful.
.......I take it as an opportunity to do something nice, for its own sake. Because we all enjoy pleasant surprises, and gifts of various kinds, when freely given in love. Platonic or otherwise :)
Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.  Hebrews 12:1

Novelist

Valentine's Day is a wonderful occasion for love to spread across the universe.  It is love in all distances, near or far, through letters or pictures, it is a vibrant time to show love, especially Godly love.  As for me, I do not have a date, yet I would like to have a date, it does not seem possible at this time.  I love Valentine's Day.  Although I do not have a special young man to share my time with, sometimes it feels lonely.  This year, my aim is more than just expecting love, it is giving love.  In many ways, love is more than just a holiday, it is life.  The love that God has for us and the love we should have for one another.  At times, I wonder, will I ever have a Valentine?  How soon?  Right now, I have to love me and understand that love and life goes on.

Thus, reflecting on the history of Valentine's Day is great.  I thought it was a wonderful way to recapture the beginning and how it is remembered on today.  There is something about Valentine's Day which could cause bitter and sweetness simultaneously.  For some, it is a time to dive into chocolates, movies, and crying over their lonely hearts, and for others, it is a moment to enjoy cuddling with your sweetheart looking at the moon and stars on a brisk cold evening, waiting to receive special gifts and being loved.  I must admit, this is a dream to me.

Novelist.