• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Is It Worth The Investment?

Started by Novelist, December 30, 2004, 09:43:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Novelist

I have an 86 century and it runs okay, but needs work.  At this time, it is a means for transportation and it will take maintenance money in order to get it where I want it to be.  Even though my employment is not constant, God blesses me with gas and getting it fixed most of the time, but I know that it needs work.  Is it worth the investment if I wanted to continue to fix it up like getting a new paint job, getting under the hood and fixing all the discrepancies.  

I understand that cars are an expense and will constantly need proper care.  My car was only 400.00 and that's it. In the past, I had to fix some things on it and I came out at least 2,000 or less to fix everything until now.  Therefore, is an 86 car worth maintaining if I want a better car for the future?  A later model such as a 2000 or 2001 at least.  My desire is a Nissan Altima or Maxima whether it is 2003 or 2004.  I will take either one.  However, there is a car note with that and besides I am not in a place to have that type of car right now.  My car does not have a note whatsoever and all I need to pay is registeration and insurance.  Please give me some tips on how I can fix my car or tips or how to maintain it for the most part, I would appreciate your opinion.

Novelist.

David Dupree

Are you mechanically inclined?  Upkeep only works when you know what to keep up.  How long have you had this car?  How well do you know it?

I would suggest this though. Do a google search or some other search on 86 Buick Century's.  Check out a few message boards on them and see what people are saying.  If they are saying that the cars are living on and on, then yours may be worth additional investment.  If not, then you may need to check into other forms or sources.  

I agree with avoiding the car note thing if possible. When you are trying to straighten out your financial woes, there is no need to add to them if possible.  On the other hand, if you really need the car to get to work, job interviews etc, then you need something to rely on.  You may be able to rely on your vehicle with the proper care.  Then on the other hand, vehicles in dense metro areas with lots of driving involved and plenty of start and stop areas get lots of hard wear and tear on them.  

I do caution you to avoid getting another car because of what others think about your Century.   Unless those folks are going to pay your note and your insurance then, ignore them.  (that ain't what I want to say..hahaha)

Here again though is another test:  which do you desire more, better transpo or getting control of your finances?  

How about this test:  can you give your tithes and pay your debts as well as a car note?

How about this test: will having a car note prevent you from being a blessing (financially) to your grandmother and the household.

Okay, I am eastcoast and need some sleep. :-)  
HNY!

dd  
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"

Novelist

I had my car for at least three years and I have invested money to help it run up until this time.  When I bought my car, it was passed through the family, which began with my cousin, my aunt, and then me.  All the time when they were driving it, by the time I had purchased it, I had to add more work to it and it was running good.  On the other hand, it runs fine right now, but I need shocks and struts on it, plus my motor mount bracket is broken, I need a wheel alignment, an oil change, and some new tires as well.  I want to invest in it, but I am reluctant because I am not sure of the worth of the car or if it would become obsolete within the next few years.  

The first important factor is getting a permanent job, paying my tithes, paying my debts and saving money.  These are the important goals that I aim to reach for this year.  Having a car note is not in my financial outlook right now, although I want a better car, I may have to settle for this one.  Recently, I was trying to get opinions from family and friends on whether I should keep it because this is my first car and I would like to keep it until I can get something better.  I do not want to seem ungrateful or anything, I just want a reliable vehicle, but I know it takes money to maintain a car as well.  I appreciate your outlook and opinions because it has assisted me with my decisions.  I do not know too much about cars, however, I have an uncle who knows about cars pretty well, and I will ask him a few questions.  Hopefully I will come to a decision and move on from here.

Novelist.