• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

marry or burn...???

Started by stilllearning, November 28, 2005, 07:03:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stilllearning

First I want to say...I love Deep Waters! What a blessing!

Anyway, I have recently been asked to marry the man who is definitely God's best for me, far beyond all of my expectations and prayers.

The issue is we are not young, and have been to the "well", so to speak, in the past a few times, and desire for this relationship to be right and blessed and anointed by God. We don't want a long engagement being that we know that we know that we know that we are what God would have for each of us. Our parents have blessed our future union and many prayers have gone forth concerning our future union.  :D

Our thoughts however are leaning towards getting married (courthouse or chapel) before the actual ceremony so that we don't fall. If it were up to us we would not have a wedding but we want our families to be apart of the celebration, however will they really be apart if we get married before we get married?  :o I wanted thoughts and advice concerning this because I am wondering if that is just being inpatient or is it something that is wise to do? I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Breathedonme

Sister,

Do you both have a pastor to counsel you?

Not to be a naysayer, but you stated that the both of you "know that you know that you know that you know . . ."  That concerns me just a little bit.

A 3rd party might be very wise and warranted in this situation 'cause it sounds like folks be in a hurry (smile).

The Word admonishes us to be anxious for nothing . . .

Just my tidbit.

David Dupree

Hi Stilllearning,

Your posting causes me some serious internal conflict.  I am not conflicted due to your assertion that you are soooooo certain your fiance is God's best for you.   However, I am conflicted due to the fact that I believe that God's best would be representative of God's best-Jesus.  I am not certain that I believe God's best would take you to the well before it is time to drink...although maybe you took him to the well. :-)

I am not sure that God's best would conspire to marry before the wedding for sexual purposes only.  (If there are other purposes, you didn't mention them) 

Are you being impatient?     you want to marry before the wedding; you have already been to the well a few times, you state that you want a short engagement.  And you ask are you being impatient?  I think you know your answer. 

If you want the relationship to be right, blessed and anointed by God, then you need to begin now to work on the issue that needs work -- waiting.  Can you wait until you are married to draw from the well again?  Can you at least invite your important relatives to the marriage? even if at the chapel or courthouse.  Can you wait to have a premarital class before getting married? 

I agree with Breathed that counseling is a must..especially premarital. 

You both agreed to go to the well.  You both agreed to a short engagement.  You both agreed to marry before the wedding.  Then you close your post with "I" am wondering if this is impatience etc.  What else are you wondering about?  What do you disagree with him on?   

Yes, God loves us and can bless us in spite of our shortcomings...but to have your relationship right, blessed and anointed, you can't agree to disobey His Word. 

dd
I've known waters, ancient dusky waters; my soul has grown deep like the waters.  adapted from Langston Hughes poem, "I've Known Rivers"