• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

prosperity teaching vs. christianity teaching

Started by vevolander, April 21, 2008, 10:12:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vevolander

it is very much like Mega church vs. Little Church
I find in charismatic especially that the messages becomes so much focused in blessings. That if one isn't blessed, means that God is not with them or some such.
Christian = rich.... I have a church in town that inside a mall and have all its members buy a member card that gives 10% discount for the whole mall purchase.... wow... thats a saving....

and then i see that Little church as mostly the orthodox.
I felt that in this place people are more faithful on doing task, repetition, services. I felt at home here because I feel people are not boasting and then later found out as practicing a cruel business manner.... and everything is as it is, flawed, yes, but not exploited or commercialized...

I respects both denominations, but in Indonesia, big churches are so focused in blessing and making bigger buildings.... but people are hungry and homeless outside. I respect more who christians Lives in Moderation and for others. I long to be such a Christian.

Hmm. I feel the need to write this down, but now I felt almost loosing the point.
Well, I will be thanking if this can spark others who thinks similar.

Forum Administrator

Hi vevolander. Welcome to Deep Waters. I see no problem with churches growing and teaching prosperity because that is part of our inheritance as believers and indeed should be taught and lived out. As long as those who are "hungry and homeless outside" are welcomed inside, I see no conflict or contradiction. God is an equal opportunity God.

Remember that moderation is a relative term so be careful not to be judgmental in that regard. It has a lot to do with who you see yourself as. If you see yourself as royalty (which, by the way, God says you are), you might find your estimation of "moderation" to be quite different from someone who does not see themselves that way. God has empowered His people to prosper: some realize it; some don't, but we are all empowered just the same. If we are called as Christ was to preach the Gospel (good news) to the poor, the poor might be more apt to respond to one who is an example of prosperity when such a one says "follow me."

Moderation should not equate to living beneath your privileges. God has given us an ocean of blessings. Some go and gather water with a thimble; others go with a hose and just keep syphoning it out. The choice is yours. As for me, I'm putting my hose in!  :)
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14