• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Pastor as Spiritual Father

Started by sagesong, February 09, 2008, 09:15:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sagesong

Where does that concept come from?   What is the Biblical reference?
Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.

Forum Administrator

Hi sagesong. My understanding of a spiritual father/mother is one who helps another to enter into the blessings that God has for him/her, and a spiritual son/daughter as one who is of help/benefit in and faithful to another who is in ministry. As far as a biblical example, one that comes to mind is Abraham. We are called Abraham's seed (Galatians 3:29). We have entered into the blessing that came as a result of Abraham's obedience to and faith in God. Another example that comes to mind is Paul. He had many sons in the ministry who assisted him and helped to bear the load: Timothy (1 Corinthians 4:17; Philippians 2:22; 1 Timothy 1:2, 18; 2 Timothy 1:2); Titus (Titus 1:4); Onesimus (Philemon 1:10).
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

sagesong

So, that person may or may not be the church pastor? Is this relationship suppose the mirror the role and functions of a natural father as it pertains to spiritual things?
Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.

Forum Administrator

Hi again. Yes, the person may or may not be the pastor. As far as this relationship mirroring the role and functions of a natural father, I would say maybe. A person could have a father that does everything that a spiritual father does and vice versa. Sometimes, it's a matter of a prophet having no honor in his own country. For example, a bishop I know has raised his son, giving him great spiritual guidance and helping to prepare his son for ministry. However, when his son reached a certain point in his spiritual growth, the bishop asked his dear friend, who also happens to be a bishop, to take over his son's primary spiritual training. He (the father-bishop) felt that there were some things that would be easier for his son to receive from someone else other than his daddy, so he entrusted him to the continued tutelage of someone who he knew would help to take his son to the next level of spiritual growth. So, as in this case, a spiritual father could be an enhancement to an already good father-son relationship.

Aleathea Dupree

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.

Breathedonme

My natural father wasn't the best example of a father.  He's dead now so I won't elaborate.

When I began going to church, I started taking a leadership class.  The professor was the Assistant Pastor.  I admired the anointing on his life and somehow both he and his wife became somewhat of a mentor to me.

I looked to him as my spiritual dad because he would nurture the anointing in my life as did his wife.  It was awesome!!!!  I am so thankful to God for that to this day.  I have a very special place in my heart for he and his wife.

Now I am older and I serve God in a leadership capacity in my church.  I attribute much of it to this Assistant Pastor and his minister wife. 

I've also had several "spiritual mothers."  What a blessing!  These women have nurtured me to where I am today.  I am so thankful to God.  Where there is lack, God supplies and He uses people to do this.

I don't look for my spiritual "parents" (smile) to supply my natural needs.  I don't expect them to purchase me things and for me to hang out at their homes, etc.    This might be okay for others.

I mentor others spiritually and it isn't easy, but it is a blessing.  Some of these younger people refer to me as "mom" LOL.  Oh my LOL.  What a blessing.

Forum Administrator

It truly is a blessing. And isn't it wonderful that you, having been mentored and nurtured yourself, are now doing the same for others. That's the way it's supposed to work!  :)

Aleathea Dupree