• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Predestination

Started by sagesong, April 19, 2007, 09:40:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sagesong

I recently heard a Pastor preach that some people are born to go to hell.  He used 2 Peter 2:12 as his reference.  However, I have heard this viewpoint taught before using other scriptural references.  If this is true, how do you know if you were born for heaven or hell?
Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Acknowledge him in all of your was and he shall direct your paths.

LENA

*** caution****
I could be wrong about this and I know the administrators will correct me if I am.
But here's what I got out of that chapter....

I don't believe God created anyone to send them to hell. I kind of think that would defeat the purpose of Jesus dyeing on the cross.  I feel as though God created us with a specific end in mind. However, since we have free will, it's not set in stone that we will be what he created us to be. But since God is ALL knowing he knows what we will end up doing.

In the NIV version it says"born only to be caught and destroyed" referring to the false teachers.

I don't think the word "born" in this scripture is referring to them actually coming into the world out of the womb, but referring to them developing into a false teacher.

Here's where you might have to research the Greek word for our English word "born" to really understand this scripture.

Gracious

Ummm ...For me, it helps to read the surrounding script's to gain contextual understanding ... Amen?   

Sooooooo ...: 
     :-[

2 Peter 2: 9-12
(New International Reader's Version)

9 So the Lord knows how to keep godly people safe in times of testing. He also knows how to keep ungodly people under guard until the day they will be judged. In the meantime, he continues to punish them. 10 Most of all, this is true of people who follow the evil longings of their sinful natures. They hate to be under authority.

Those false prophets are bold and proud. They aren't afraid to speak evil things against heavenly beings. 11 Angels are stronger and more powerful than those people. But even angels don't bring to the Lord evil charges against heavenly beings.

12 Those people speak evil about things they don't understand. They are like wild animals. They do what comes naturally to them. They are born only to be caught and destroyed. Just like animals, they too will die.

[/color]

Lena, I agree with you completely!!!   When you said:

Posted by: LENA  Posted on: Yesterday at 12:19:52 PM 
QuoteI don't believe God created anyone to send them to hell. I kind of think that would defeat the purpose of Jesus dyeing on the cross.  I feel as though God created us with a specific end in mind. However, since we have free will, it's not set in stone that we will be what he created us to be. But since God is ALL knowing he knows what we will end up doing.

In the NIV version it says"born only to be caught and destroyed" referring to the false teachers.

I don't think the word "born" in this scripture is referring to them actually coming into the world out of the womb, but referring to them developing into a false teacher.

The epistle of II Peter was authored (arguably???) by Jesus' disciple named (Sumean) Simon-Peter, and or his secretary during Peter's writings - Silvanus.

In a "nut-shell" Sagesong, I am led  not believe that what was shared with you from this Pastor was "rightly-divided" from Heaven.

You know, this Pastor you'd mentioned sure did pick an interesting book to scripture-twist upon!!!  For no other book in the HOLY BIBLE is more misunderstood ... AND ... NO other book held in GODS WORD draws more "controversy, false prophets & false teachings to it - in this present day!        (save Revelations perhaps :o )   

Perhaps this could be because of the "reminders" held in it:

Reminders of GOD's past provisions ... which apply to our present-day Promise.

Reminders of the coming of false prophets  ... which could apply to many of our Earthen Political & Spiritual Political authorities.

Reminders of our LORD's certain (2nd) Coming / HIS Love fulfilled within us!!! ... which WILL apply to our PERFECTION - via our NEXT destination!!!

Gracious[/color]
"...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified..."            Isaiah 61:3&

Breathedonme

I too have heard this teaching.  Since God is all knowing I believe He knows that some will not make it to the Kingdom.  It's in the Word.  To say they are born to go to Hell . . . I can't address that since the Word says that God doesn't wish that any should perish.

The person who shared this information about people destined for Hell used it as her reason not to witness to people about Jesus Christ.  What troubled me was and is -- WE don't know who those people are so it is our responsbility as believers to go forth and bring the Good News.

Forum Administrator

Hi sagesong/All.
Quotehow do you know if you were born for heaven or hell?
God's plan for all mankind is for good and not for evil, to give us a future and an expected end (Jeremiah 29:11). He does not give us life so that it will be destroyed. To suggest that a person is born for hell reveals a lack of understanding about the nature of God.

God loves mankind so much that He trusts--not forces--man to choose His ways. He did it in the Garden of Eden. He did not put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil there because He was testing man, but because he trusted that man would love and appreciate His goodness and provision enough that he would not choose the evil thing. Unfortunately, as was the case with Adam, man, though presented with good, will sometimes choose the evil thing. Those who choose the way of the evil one, end up where the evil one is. Those who choose God's Way, end up where God is. The choice is ours.

As this topic relates to our witness to others, we would do well to follow the advice given in Ecclesiastes 11:6 which says:

"In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening withhold not your hands, for you know not which shall prosper, whether this or that, or whether both alike will be good." There is no gift of discerning whether or not a person will accept Christ or reject Him. As has been said, we don't know how a person may respond to the Good News, so we should keep on sowing the Gospel to as many as we have opportunity.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14