• Welcome to Deep Waters Relationship Advice. Please login or sign up.

Do I still call them friends?

Started by Girl Talk, June 05, 2004, 12:13:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Girl Talk

Several of my friends have started sleeping with married men. I don't judge them but do I continue to befriend them? Being a married woman myself I don't even allow them around my husband just because of the principle and my womanly instincts. Do I still call them friends?
Join Elder Vikki Johnson & Friends at the next Girl Talk. Intimate. Informal. Unscripted.
http://www.eldervikkijohnson.org

Forum Administrator

It is difficult to be friends with someone who doesn't respect your marriage. Women (and men) who get involved with people who are married show a great disrespect not only to the spouse of the one with whom they are involved, but to the institution of marriage and to themselves. By getting involved with someone who is married, they are in effect saying that they do not respect marriage or the marital vows. You are wise to guard against anything that comes against marriage, especially yours. Stand for your marriage and what marriage itself represents. If your friends cannot respect that, let them know that you cannot condone what they are involved in and you don't want to be associated with that kind of disrespect of marriage. Pray for them. If they value your friendship, perhaps they will consider your comments and feelings and change their behavior. If not, separate yourself from them. Either way, pray for them and do good as you have opportunity.
Post your replies to this topic or start a new topic.

Aleathea Dupree
Deep Waters Interactive Forum Administrator

Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
- Proverbs 11:14

ReeC

Honestly........ I do understand relationship, and friendship.  However, the word is clear when it says, 2 can't walk together except they are in agreement.  While I know you are not in agreement with their behavior, you can't allow your ears to listen to the various affairs and know that the relationships that they are having are breaking covenant.  Your responsibility is to pray, speak truth and love them in Christ anyhow.  Do not allow them to feel comfortable talking to you about someone else's husband and you have a husband.  You know how devestated you would be if your husband was sleeping around and because of that alone, you can't allow your ears to be filled with words that don't fortify marital vows, or your relationship.  Really, you need to speak up.  Be a friend and speak truth and tell these ladies that there is a price to pay and it is greater than HIV, or any STD, it is there soul...... and no man is worth losing your soul over.  A friend loves at all times and now is the time to excercise the love of God through truth and standing on what the word says and since the ladies were called friends........ be a friend and speak truth!
The earth is filled with treasures..... consider yourself a jewel...... ReeC

morefaith

I can so relate. When I began to take my walk toward GOD, my life has changed! Including the people I considered my "friends". You start to break away from folks who you are not on the same page with. No hate, no anger, you just don't hang around them anymore! I still talk/e-mail a few of them from time to time, they were in my life for whatever reason and I still care about them. It's funny, they no longer confide in me the "activities" they are involved in, nor am I invited to the "parties" - just basic how are you, blah, blah. I'm no saint - I have a long way to go, but I know I don't want to associate with anyone or condone behavior that's just not my cup of tea. I know your situtation and I will pray for you. It's sticky, I know. Just wean away if you can. GOD Bless!